From Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) Extract to Responsibility Assignment Matrix (RAM) Chart - How to?

RKLLKR

Good Morning All

I've searched the forum using Google and found two posts associated with RACI charts (aka RAM Chart), however they don't handle my situation.
I am trying to go from a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) developed in MS Project 2010 on a Windows 7 platform to a RAM Chart in Excel 2010. The required indexing, lookups and formatting is well beyond my comfort level / skills in Excel.
Within MS Project, I develop a task list (Text) and use a number of Custom Text Fields to list the people involved in a specific role.
The extract from Project looks like this

Task Name
Responsible
Accountable
Consulted
Informed
Job 1
Bill, Mark
Susan

Joe
Job 2
Susan
Mark
Steven, Bill
Joe
Job 3
Bill
Bill
Susan
Mark
…..etc.

Job X
Steven
Mark, Susan

Bill, Joe

<tbody>
</tbody>

A properly formatted RAM Chart would look like:
Task Name
Bill
Mark
Steven
Joe
Susan
Job 1
Responsible
Responsible

Informed
Accountable
Job 2
Consulted
Accountable
Consulted
Informed
Responsible
Job 3
Accountable
Informed

Consulted
…..etc.

Job X
Informed
Accountable
Responsible
Informed
Accountable

<tbody>
</tbody>

So I’m looking for the appropriate macro (?) that:

1) Identify each individual name in the first table (R2C2:RnCn) and then place each individual as a Column Header in the RAM Chart table.
a. Condition: Row count needs to be calculated since I don’t know how long the Task Column will be for a project.
b. Condition: Ideally, cells with multiple people would be “split” / counted for how many “new” names are in the cell and each “new” name used a column header. If this can’t be accomplished then all the names in a single cell could be used as a column header. Within the original project file, there should always be at least one resource name in the Responsible column since this is field used to assign resources to the Task in MS Project. It is possible and also likely that there will be multiple names separated by a comma within Responsible. Column count in the RAM chart will be dependent on how many individual (or group) names are identified.

2) Place under each person’s name (or group of names), the appropriate role.
a. Condition: Since we haven’t settled on a standard for role names, the column count from Column B to the right-most column in the original table will be needed. Some styles of RACI charts use up to six roles.
b. Condition: Where a person is both Responsible and Accountable, the higher cell importance (Accountable) should be entered.
Since the purpose of the RAM chart is to clarify roles / responsibilities and conflicts, ideally conditional formatting would be used to identify:
Tasks where there is no designated Responsible to confirm that the Accountable is actually doing the work plus correct the original MS Project file Resource Assignment.
Tasks where there are multiple Accountable.

Extra bonus question:
If I had a properly formatted RAM Chart in Excel already, how could I go “back” to the WBS Table with Roles as Column headers and Cells containing lists of people? If a list in a single cell would be too hard, additional rows with the same Task Name (or blanked) would be useful.
Rereading this, it seems quite a wish list, but I am hoping that someone can help.
Cheers
Bob Lohmaier
Ottawa, ON

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Try this, Result start "G1"
If results require modification please show Example of Data and Results with more comprehesive detail to enable correction.
Code:
[COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR] MG04Feb58
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] Rng [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range, Dn [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Range, n [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long,[/COLOR] Dic [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Object, Rw [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] Ac [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long,[/COLOR] Ray [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Variant, Sp [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Variant
[COLOR="Navy"]Dim[/COLOR] k [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Variant, c [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long,[/COLOR] R [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Long,[/COLOR] p [COLOR="Navy"]As[/COLOR] Variant
Ray = ActiveSheet.Range("A1").CurrentRegion
ReDim nray(1 To UBound(Ray, 1), 1 To 1)
nray(1, 1) = "Task Name"
[COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] Dic = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
Dic.CompareMode = vbTextCompare
[COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] Rw = 2 To UBound(Ray, 1)
     nray(Rw, 1) = Ray(Rw, 1)
        [COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] Ac = 2 To UBound(Ray, 2)
            [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] Not IsEmpty(Ray(Rw, Ac)) [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
                Sp = Split(Ray(Rw, Ac), ",")
                [COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] n = 0 To UBound(Sp)
                    [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] Not Dic.exists(Trim(Sp(n))) [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
                        [COLOR="Navy"]Set[/COLOR] Dic(Trim(Sp(n))) = CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
                    [COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] If
                    [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] Not Dic(Trim(Sp(n))).exists(Ray(Rw, 1)) [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
                        Dic(Trim(Sp(n))).Add (Ray(Rw, 1)), Ray(1, Ac)
                    [COLOR="Navy"]Else[/COLOR]
                        '[COLOR="Green"][B]This line will includes Multi responces i.e "Accountable" / Responcible"[/B][/COLOR]
                        '[COLOR="Green"][B]Include as required[/B][/COLOR]
                        '[COLOR="Green"][B]Dic(Trim(Sp(n))).Item(Ray(Rw, 1)) = Dic(Trim(Sp(n))).Item(Ray(Rw, 1)) & "," & Ray(1, Ac)[/B][/COLOR]
                [COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] n
    [COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] Ac
[COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] Rw

Ac = 1
ReDim Preserve nray(1 To UBound(Ray, 1), 1 To Dic.Count + 1)
    [COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Each[/COLOR] k [COLOR="Navy"]In[/COLOR] Dic.Keys
        Ac = Ac + 1
        nray(1, Ac) = k
        [COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Each[/COLOR] p [COLOR="Navy"]In[/COLOR] Dic(k)
              [COLOR="Navy"]For[/COLOR] R = 2 To UBound(nray, 1)
                    [COLOR="Navy"]If[/COLOR] nray(R, 1) = p [COLOR="Navy"]Then[/COLOR]
                       nray(R, Ac) = Dic(k).Item(p)
                       [COLOR="Navy"]Exit[/COLOR] For
            [COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] R
            [COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] p

[COLOR="Navy"]Next[/COLOR] k
[COLOR="Navy"]With[/COLOR] Range("G1").Resize(UBound(nray, 1), UBound(nray, 2))
    .Value = nray
    .Columns.AutoFit
    .Borders.Weight = 2
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]With[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Navy"]End[/COLOR] [COLOR="Navy"]Sub[/COLOR]
Regards Mick

Upvote 0
Thanks MickG

Works like a charm. I'll be sharing this with others in my group, especially since someone just spent a bunch of effort to do this manually.:)

May I push my luck and your good will by asking how it could push the output into a separate worksheet in case I have sizing issues with the original table (ie it goes wider than G1)?

Cheers

Bob L

Upvote 0
You're welcome
For Results on new sheet , change last bit of code as follows:-
Code:
With [B][COLOR=#ff0000]sheets("Sheet2").Range("A1").[/COLOR][/B]Resize(UBound(nray, 1), UBound(nray, 2))
    .Value = nray
    .Columns.AutoFit
    .Borders.Weight = 2
End With

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emilou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back