Function or VB needed -- Performing numeric operations on a small portion of a block of text.

kwondra34

Hi everyone,

I appreciate your help in advance!

I have a string block similar to what is seen below that I export out of a tool (that I cannot edit) -- it looks similar to this:

Matches:

Food,Pizza=Cheese,Topping=Mushroom,Extras=Soda(12),Breadsticks=TooFat
Sports,Baseball=Fun,Basketball=Soso,Soccer=Footy(1500),Badminton=lolseriously

I am trying to write a formula (preferably) or use a VB module to read a string of text and perform a numeric comparison to the portion in paranthesis. So far I have this - which is probably entirely wrong :).

Code:
 [B]=ISERR(SEARCH("Topping=Mushroom,Extras=Soda( < 12  & ")",B1))[/B]

In the example above, I am trying to do the following -- search for the string "Topping=Mushroom,Extras=Soda(" and then perform a numeric comparison of the following number (12 in the example above). I basically want to match the string and then identify if the number is less than 12.

I would prefer the formula to return the actual finding -- examples being: Extras=Soda(8), Extras=Soda(4), etc., but true/false is also acceptable!

Thank you so very much in advance.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Suppose your string is in B2.

In some cell, say B4 enter the formula =SEARCH("Topping=Mushroom,Extras=Soda(",B2)+LEN("Topping=Mushroom,Extras=Soda(")

This returns the starting position of the number.

In another cell, say C4, enter the formula =SEARCH("),Breadsticks",B2). This gives the starting position of the close paren after the number.

In another cell, say D4, enter =--MID(B2,B4,C4-B4)

That's the number you want.

You could put everything into a single formula but it will be fairly messy. The above is easier to read, understand, and maintain.

Hi everyone,

I appreciate your help in advance!

I have a string block similar to what is seen below that I export out of a tool (that I cannot edit) -- it looks similar to this:

Matches:

Food,Pizza=Cheese,Topping=Mushroom,Extras=Soda(12),Breadsticks=TooFat
Sports,Baseball=Fun,Basketball=Soso,Soccer=Footy(1500),Badminton=lolseriously

I am trying to write a formula (preferably) or use a VB module to read a string of text and perform a numeric comparison to the portion in paranthesis. So far I have this - which is probably entirely wrong :).

Code:
 [B]=ISERR(SEARCH("Topping=Mushroom,Extras=Soda( < 12  & ")",B1))[/B]

In the example above, I am trying to do the following -- search for the string "Topping=Mushroom,Extras=Soda(" and then perform a numeric comparison of the following number (12 in the example above). I basically want to match the string and then identify if the number is less than 12.

I would prefer the formula to return the actual finding -- examples being: Extras=Soda(8), Extras=Soda(4), etc., but true/false is also acceptable!

Thank you so very much in advance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back