Generate random list of 6 digit alphanumerics

SeanB

Greetings everyone!

Like the subject says, I need to generate a random list of 6 digit alphanumerics. These alphanumerics will be used as product registration codes, so there can be no repeats.

I would like to have a column with several thousand of these codes, so they can be printed on small labels, and one attached to each product.

Preferably, I would like to use only capital letters, and skip the letter 'O' to avoid confusion with zero.

I think I explaned myself well enough there (?). So can anyone help point me in the right direction? My experience with excel is very limited, and I haven't a clue as to how to start attacking this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Sean

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
RIGHT - Bear with me on this one. I've been playing a bit and got maybe something to at least get you started:
In Cells A1:A36 I put multiples of 0.028571 (this is 1 divided by 35 - more later).
In B1:B35 I put all your permutations (A-Z excluding O and 0-9).
In C1:H1 I put the Formula =RAND()
In C2 I put the formula "=VLOOKUP(C1,$A$1:$B$36,2,TRUE)" Then copied it across to H2
Then in I2 - =Concatenate(C2,D2,E2,F2,G2,H2)

Tada

Any good (sounds worse then it actually is)

Jim

Upvote 0
Hi - welcome to the board!

Generating the initial list is farly straightforward. Put a letter in a cell (e.g. put a in A1). In another cell, put =code(a1). You should get 97. The code for z is 122. The reverse operation is performed by =char(97) - to get an a etc. You can use this to generate a series of "random" strings"

=CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(97,122))&CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(97,122))&CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(97,122))&CHAR(RANDBETWEEN(97,122))&RANDBETWEEN(1,9)&RANDBETWEEN(1,9)

will give you strings of the form abcd12. The "only" problem you now have is that this method will not guarantee that the strings are uniqiue. This is not necessarily a problem. If you only need to do this once (or if you can create a list that's big enough to cope with demand for the foreseeable future, then once you've generated the list, copy it, paste special - values to get just the numbers, not the formulas, then filter | advanced filter - unique records only to get a list of unique values. Copy this, your final list.

Will it do?

Paddy

EDIT: additional remarks - excel's "random" functions are fairly weak - see this thread & the links for some insight:

http://216.92.17.166/board/viewtopic.php?topic=4990&forum=2
This message was edited by PaddyD on 2002-11-19 14:53

Upvote 0
Here's a VBA approach
This may point you in a direction:

Sub Generate()
Dim all As Variant
all = Array("A", "B", "C", "D", "E", "F", "G", "H", "I", "J", "K", "L", "M", _
"N", "P", "Q", "R", "S", "T", "U", "V", "W", "X", "Y", "Z", "0", "1", _
"2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7", "8", "9")
Application.DisplayAlerts = False
For i = Worksheets.Count To 2 Step -1
If Sheets(i).Name = "Random" Then Sheets(i).Delete
Next
Sheets.Add
ActiveSheet.Move After:=Sheets(Sheets.Count)
ActiveSheet.Name = "Random"
Columns("A:A").Select
Selection.NumberFormat = "@"
[a1] = "RANDOM VALUES"
For i = 1 To 20000
Randomize
code = ""
For j = 1 To 6
ptr = Int((UBound(all) + 1) * Rnd)
code = code & all(ptr)
Next j
Worksheets("Random").[a1].Offset(i, 0) = code
Next
End Sub

Obviously some additional work needs to be done, like checking if a value has been previously generated. I started with a blank worksheet each time.
This message was edited by hedrijw on 2002-11-19 15:23
This message was edited by hedrijw on 2002-11-19 15:25

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ExcelfromGermany

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back