Generating a graph with a repeating x-axis

corbettw

Hello all,

Project: I have a set of chemical element concentrations (~20) at various depths in the subsurface. I would like to create a single graph that plots my y-axis as a depth of 0-50m and my x-axis to be a repeating logarithmic scale showing how each of the concentrations will vary with depth. (Some elements are 0-10ppm some are 500-1000ppm)

Currently I make ~20 single graphs of each element and combine them into one in adobe but there must be a faster way to do this.

Thank you very much.

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Could you link to an example of your chart?

I am new to this and not sure how to link an excel file. This is an example of the data I am working with.

Depth (m)Ba (PPM)Ce (PPM)Cr (PPM)Co (PPM)Pb (PPM)La (PPM)

<colgroup><col><col><col span="5"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Something like this?

Hxq4oS0.png

Note that I've deleted the zero for Co at 2 m, because Excel will complain about zeros on a log scale.

Your Y values are in the first column, which is different than the conventional data Excel expects. Having multiple X series for one Y series is also opposite of the multiple Y for one X that Excel expects. So you'll have to do some extra work. (Shameless plug: my Excel charting add-in does this with only a couple clicks.)

Select the Ba(PPM) data (including the label in the first row) and insert an XY Scatter chart.

Click Select Data on the ribbon.

Select the Ba(PPM) series in the left-hand list, and click the Edit button.

In the X Values box, enter the range with the Ba PPM values, and in the Y values box, enter the range with Depths. Click OK.

Click Add, select the new series, and click Edit. In the X Values box, enter the range with the Ce PPM values, and in the Y values box, enter the range with Depths. Click OK.

Repeat for Cr, Co, Pb, and La. Click OK to leave the dialog.

Right click on the bottom axis, choose Format Axis. Check the Log Scale box.

Upvote 0
This is close but I wanted to have each element separated into they're own 1-1000 x-axis.

This is a well log, much like what I want except my columns would be different elements. Currently I just create a bunch of separate graphs and put them together, I was just hoping there would be a faster way.

https://i.stack.imgur.com/RLE43.png

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back