Get a daily use average?

tl7612

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a monthly spreadsheet that numbers are keyed in from readings that are done on different days of the month. The spreadsheet has the dates in across the top in row 1 and the locations in the rows below. For example, I would have a reading on April 8th for 83,055,000 and then on April 15th for 83,203,000. I of course could do the the math and get the daily average between those two numbers by substracting the two and divide by 7. That would get me a daily average use of 21,143. However, I will have more dates keyed in and would like a formula to figure out what the daily average use would be no matter what dates entered.
1621278733415.png

For example in April there are 30 days and the formula divides by 29 days instead of 30 days. There would always be a reading on the first day of the month and the last day.
As it should if you are really trying to get daily usage. From April 1 to April 30 is 29 days. 30 days from April 1 would by May 1, not April 30.

This is more easily see with the following simple example.
Let's say that you are comparing 2 readings, one from April 1 and one from April 2.
That is one days change. If you divide by 2 (i.e. 2-1+1), you are going to get half of the actual daily usage, not the full amount (as there is really only one day difference, not two!).

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahmad123098

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back