1. Windows
Hi,

I have some data that looks like this:

5/9/23AppleBananaBanana and Grape
6/9/23BananaGrapeGrape
7/9/23OrangeApple x2Watermelon
8/9/23GrapeBananaMango
9/9/23MangoMangoApple x3

So, I am currently using this formula: =UNIQUE(TOCOL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(" "&"Apple"&" "," "&B1:D5&" ")),A1:A5,1/0),2)) it finds the search word and it returns the 3 dates where Apple appears. Is it possible to get it to also look at the 'x2' or 'x3' within the cell and give the date that many times. So for example if searching for 'Apple' in this table it would return:

5/9/23
7/9/23
7/9/23
9/9/23
9/9/23
9/9/23

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
How about:

Excel Formula:
=LET(FruitNames,B1:D5,dateCount,CHOOSE({1,2},UNIQUE(TOCOL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(" "&"Apple"&" "," "&FruitNames&" ")),A1:A5,1/0),2)),VALUE(IFNA(SUBSTITUTE(TEXTAFTER(LET(removeBlanks,IFERROR(TOCOL(IF(SEARCH(" "&"Apple"&" "," "&FruitNames&" ")=1,FruitNames,"")),""),FILTER(removeBlanks,removeBlanks<>""))," "),"x",""),1))),LAMBDA(values,num_repeat,XLOOKUP(SEQUENCE(SUM(num_repeat)),VSTACK(1,SCAN(1,num_repeat,LAMBDA(a,b,a+b))),VSTACK(values,""),,-1))(INDEX(dateCount,,1),INDEX(dateCount,,2)))

Upvote 0
Hi @ExcelToDAX, thanks for this. I've tried to implement this with my data, but am having an issue as some of the data doesn't always display as: "Apple x2", sometimes there is other information in the cell as well. It may look like this too: "Apple (P) x2", or like this: "Apple (C) x2", or even "Apple 1 x2"

Lots of your formula doesn't make sense to me! 😅 but I can see that it is currently finding all the text after the searched word and then removing any x's using substitute. However it's then getting stuck on some of these other ones as it is left with "(P) 2" and obviously cant process that as a number.

The number we need does always appear on the end of the cell though so is there a way to get it to grab and use this number instead of removing everything to leave just the number? I have this formula that grabs the number on the right of a specified cell: =TEXTJOIN("",TRUE,RIGHT(A1,1)) but wouldn't know where or how to include this into your formula to do the rest of the stuff it does.

Thanks,
Sparhan

Upvote 0
Hi, i've now managed to implement the bit I asked for (to grab the number at the end) using this formula: =LET(FruitNames,B1:D5,Dates,A1:A5,dateCount,CHOOSE({1,2},UNIQUE(TOCOL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(" "&"Apple"&" "," "&FruitNames&" ")),Dates,1/0),2)),VALUE(RIGHT(LET(removeBlanks,IFERROR(TOCOL(IF(SEARCH(" "&"Apple"&" "," "&FruitNames&" ")=1,FruitNames,"")),""),FILTER(removeBlanks,removeBlanks<>"")),1))),LAMBDA(values,num_repeat,XLOOKUP(SEQUENCE(SUM(num_repeat)),VSTACK(1,SCAN(1,num_repeat,LAMBDA(a,b,a+b))),VSTACK(values,""),,-1))(INDEX(dateCount,,1),INDEX(dateCount,,2)))

But I have come up against another problem. I also have some data where "Apple" in various forms might appear on the same row more than once. like this:

05/09/2023​
Apple x1BananaBanana and Grape
06/09/2023​
BananaGrapeGrape
07/09/2023​
OrangeApple x2Apple x2
08/09/2023​
GrapeApple x2Mango
09/09/2023​
MangoMangoApple x3

Running this currently returns:

5/9/23
7/9/23
7/9/23
8/9/23
8/9/23
9/9/23
9/9/23
#N/A
#N/A
#N/A

I believe this is because the first part of the 'datecount' is filtering out non-unique dates like it should, leaving the 4 dates as results in the array, but the second part is not doing this and is leaving 5 seperate results in the array. I can't just add the unique fuction to that side of the 'datecount' formula though as it would filter all extra x2's away regardless of what row they were on, leaving only 3 results in the array.

I hope that makes sense, quite hard to explain. I would like it to return:

5/9/23
7/9/23
7/9/23
8/9/23
8/9/23
9/9/23
9/9/23
9/9/23

Hope you can help!

Upvote 0
This should work (you will have to format the cells with the date format of your choice)...
Excel Formula:
=LET(fruit,"apple",dates,A1:A5,data,B1:D5,g,IFERROR(TRIM(REPT(dates&" ",MID(TEXTAFTER(data," ",-1),2,99))),dates),0+TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN(" ",,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(fruit,data)),g,"")),," "))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
=LET(fruit,"apple",dates,A1:A5,data,B1:D5,g,IFERROR(TRIM(REPT(dates&" ",MID(TEXTAFTER(data," ",-1),2,99))),dates),0+TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN(" ",,IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(fruit,data)),g,"")),," "))
Hi Rick, thanks for this. It does remove the N/A issue, however it is finding both results from the 7/9/23 row. So currently it returns 4 lots of 7/9/23, but I want it to ignore the 2nd "Apple x2" on 7/9/23 and just return 2 lots of 7/9/23. That's what the UNIQUE function was attempting to do in the original formula, giving me only one result per row based on the date.

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks,
Sparhan

Upvote 0
Hi Rick, thanks for this. It does remove the N/A issue, however it is finding both results from the 7/9/23 row. So currently it returns 4 lots of 7/9/23, but I want it to ignore the 2nd "Apple x2" on 7/9/23 and just return 2 lots of 7/9/23. That's what the UNIQUE function was attempting to do in the original formula, giving me only one result per row based on the date.

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks,
Sparhan
Hi,

I managed to work out where to put the tocol/unique. This now works and filters to just one result per date:

=LET(fruit,"Apple",dates,$A$1:$A$5,data,$B$1:$D$5,g,IFERROR(TRIM(REPT(dates&" ",MID(TEXTAFTER(data," ",-1),2,99))),dates)0+TEXTSPLIT(TEXTJOIN(" ",,UNIQUE(TOCOL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(fruit,data)),g,1/0),2))),," "))

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back