Goal Seek with Multiple Variables - Excel 2013

davidtaylor598

Board Regular
Hi,

I have recently been upgraded to Excel 2013 and have not used Goal Seek in about ten years. After a few clicks I can get it working fine but am unsure of how to tackle a problem when there are multiple variables.

I have 4 benchmarks (columns B:E) broken down into 6 different figures, so a table 5 by 7 (A1:E8).

eg. the Balanced Index (row E) has 17.5 in Bonds (E2), 37.5 in UK Equities (E3), 30 in Overseas Equities (E4) ,... and so on, totalling 100.

Below this I have the four benchmarks with a weighting beside each one, which will determine the output above. So as an example, beside Bonds I have the formula: "=(B$19*B2+B$20*C2+B$21*D2+B$22*E2)/100".

Underneath this table I have my desired result for each figure, and beside it I have the output.

How would I go about solving the best possible combination of the benchmarks to come to a result closest to the desired result?

Sorry if I haven't described this well, it is hard without attaching the workbook and I am not sure how to do this as I cannot install the add-in MrExcel suggests.

Thanks,

David

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Try using Solver (the Solver Add-in in Excel which you may need to activate). Why can't you install the HTML Add-in? It's straightforward.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tungnmqn90

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back