Grouping by time in pivot table

ezflyer

I have a table of results from a triathlon which includes a column for total time in hh:mm:ss. I am trying to create a pivot table that groups the results by time in 30-minute intervals, for example, 8:00:00 - 8:30:00 ... 17:00:00 - 17:30:00. I have tried a number of ways but Excel always wants to display the time as a time of day, not elapsed time. Can anyone suggest a way to do this.

Thanks

Bill
tri.jpg

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
You can use the formula below to make a new column with rounded times. Then use that new column to make your pivot table.

Book1
AB
1TimesRounded
23:00:113:00:00
32:45:093:00:00
42:23:132:30:00
52:56:303:00:00
63:13:243:00:00
73:45:164:00:00
Sheet3
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B7B2=ROUND(A2*((60/30)*24),0)/((60/30)*24)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the suggestion. The formatting isn't what I was hoping but it gives me the data and I can fix the formatting. I tried this in both Windows and Mac and results are quite different. The table on the left is from Windows, on the right Mac. I do wish Microsoft would create a version of Office that worked the same in both environments. Bill

tri 2.jpg

Upvote 0
I got the same result in windows that you got on Mac. It's because it's automatically adding a group element to the rows of the pivot table. If you remove the 'Hours' grouping, then it should look right. You can just go to the 'Group' section of the 'Analyze' tab on the ribbon and click 'Ungroup'.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately not. When I remove the Hours, I get the table below. I tried the same actions in Windows and got the result that you described. This is typical of the Mac version of Excel which is reliably almost compatible with the Windows version.

short.jpg

Upvote 0
Hmm, weird. Another in a long list of reasons I don't use anything Apple.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back