Hellp Find Doc's on Recommended Size of XLS files

Nimrod

MrExcel MVP
Hello fellow XLR's:
Today we've got a vendor in here that's trying to sell the Chief Officers in the company a solution that's a Huge Slow xls file. And I'm looking for some official doc's on recommended sizes etc of xls files.

This file they're trying to bring us as a solution has Over 100 sheets and on each Sheet there are 2-4 Pivot Tables and charts. :oops:

So if anyone knows of any literature on this matter it would be much appreciated. Thx

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
If you have any kind of comparable software, you could simply run some benchmarks to demonstrate that the pivot table solution is indeed slower.

Is it?

Upvote 0
Nimrod

Hi buddy very long time and no speak ???? Proud to help you a little, you need to catch up on OzGrid mate if you need me i drop by here now and then just to help techi stuff and see what the new problems good for me too.

OK Size does it matter? Well buddy i say 60 to 100mb max over 60 and can get nasty unless powerful pc. thats my views from what i have found but as you know depends on so so much ie PC Specs versions of win / Excel and so on. Most lies on processing power.

I have never seen this size on any M$ page on the web or any one told me many they dont know so a case work till she stops.

The thing is there are lots of Excel limits no one / well not many see or know about like max fonts and colours in a sheet / book will trash excel over time. and number of styles and so on.

Piviot im say why so many looks nasty best would be to have none or one and VBA to make tham as needs be that sound very nasty to me, with 100 sheets i would ask what happening ther can not many of theres sheets be added into one say in sections of on sheets seems excive to me.

What size is the file at default and when used does teh size explode? IF so i dont like it.

As a coder as good as you are buddy i would look at sorting that yourself and VBA the lot and delete on finished or as / whenever you can ...
I can not see that all that data and design is rolling data and much could be into a XLA .... and called as needs be that will solve a lot or out to txt file all sorts of tricks.

Sive wise as i have said above and should be ok, i have used 247mb xla and was ok as most data and templates to a4 paper size little else but if an active doc ie formulas, piviots, all the bells and whistles, i can see trouble ahead.. Make sure you back up a lot but might need own HDD for that by sounds of it.

Jack

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back