Help creating employee turnover report - new to power pivot

karenmi

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Web
I am working with a data file from our HR system, and need to create a turnover report that shows percentage turnover each month, by property, by department, and by a bunch of other slicers that I create. I am comfortable with Power Query and merging tables to get all of the data I need for the slicers. I need help framing the power pivot measures (or however I should be approaching this) in order to calculate the % turnover each month.

My data includes all employees who have ever worked for the company. I filter out for employees terminated prior to this year. The person currently creating this report somewhat manually is calculating turnover as # of employees terminated this month divided by the average of the # of employees at the beginning and ending of last month (employees on the 1st + employees on the 30th divided by 2). Some employees are terminated and then re-hired. The file looks like this:

If anyone can help me figure out how to structure the turnover calculations I would greatly appreciate it!

1654609613893.png

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
This is a non-trivial task. You need to iterate through every employee in the period selected (say a year) and work out how many new starts and how many terminations.

I wrote this article a few weeks ago. It is not the answer you need, but it may help you understand what needs to be done.

I’m my example, instead of counting rows in the employee table, I would use that table as the input for an iteration, and then check if each employee was either started or terminated in the period. A further complication is they may have done both, even multiple times.

Like I said, not trivial, particularly if you are new to it all. I don’t have capacity to solve this one for you for free, but if you want commercial help, I can get Jason to help you for 1 hour of his time. Remote Help/Support - Senior Consultant (Jason ****ington)

Otherwise, I hope this information helps you on your journey.

Upvote 0
Thanks so much Matt. I will give it a go and if I am not successful I will get in touch with Jason. I appreciate your help and input.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back