Help needed with conditional formatting

peterv6

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
I want to format cell A1 based on a combination of its contents, and those of cell C1.

Note: If not 0, A1's value will always be less than or equal to C1's value.

Example:
If A1 contains $0.00 and C1 contains $0.00, I want the fill color for both cells to be white, and the text color to be blue.

If A1 is $0.00 and C1 is $0.75 (or any value from a penny to 99¢), no change needed.

If A1 = C1, I want the fill color to be yellow and the text to be red for both cells.

I'm trying to use a formula to do this, but I haven't found anything that works.

The problem might be the formula I'm using in C1 to extract the cents from a money field & reformat it. B17 is a currency formatted field.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

="$" & 0&RIGHT(B17,LEN(B17)-SEARCH(".",B17)+1)

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Is cell B17 an actual number or is it text? What does the formula =ISNUMBER(B17) return?

Upvote 1
Actually, I'm using Excel on Androif, so it'd be Microsoft 365 personal.

Upvote 0
... so it'd be Microsoft 365 personal.
Thanks, that is the answer to my first question (& the answer would best be put into your account details as suggested so you don't get asked about your version every time you ask a question ;)), but what about the answer to my second question? :unsure:

Upvote 0
Thanks, that is the answer to my first question (& the answer would best be put into your account details as suggested so you don't get asked about your version every time you ask a question ;)), but what about the answer to my second question? :unsure:
Sorry, didn't notice second question, long night at work. The answer is TRUE.

Upvote 0
Sorry, didn't notice second question, long night at work. The answer is TRUE.
Actually, using the ISNUMBER function on cell C1 seems to show my problem. It turns out the result of the formula in C1 is in the form of $0.75, but ISNUMBER returns FALSE. Is there any way to convert that result into a number?

Upvote 0
The answer is TRUE.
OK, if B17 is a number, could this work for you?

Different formula is shown for column C. This column would be formatted as Currency with 2 decimal places. This displays the "$" sign but that sign does form part of the cell's actual value.
I have formatted column A the same and assume it contains numbers as well.

Then Conditional Formatting for columns A & C is shown below the mini sheet.
Check results for row 3 as I don't think you covered that scenario in your original descriptions. Or perhaps that is not possible with your data?

23 07 30.xlsm
ABC
1$0.00$0.00
2$0.00$0.68
3$0.66$0.56
4$0.56$0.56
17$23.00
18$17.68
19$14.56
20$14.56
CF (2)
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C1:C4C1=MOD(B17,1)
Cells with Conditional Formatting
CellConditionCell FormatStop If True
A1:A4,C1:C4Expression=AND($A1<>0,$A1=$C1)textNO
A1:A4,C1:C4Expression=AND($A1=0,$C1=0)textNO

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fragment

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back