help on VBA code to reset cells to zero

Ford Barton

<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CFord%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Help A Beginner Please....

I am looking for some help on code to reset cells to zero. I have spent a lot of time trying to solve my error on my own and would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
<o:p> </o:p>
I have a financial spreadsheet that is used over and over again and needs to conditionally hide unused rows and columns and clear unused cells to zero. I have gotten my VB code to hide the unused rows and columns correctly but I am having difficulties adding the code to clear unused cells to zero. For each row that I hide, I need to zero out 7 columns (E,J,O,T,Y,AD,AI).
This code worked to hide the unused rows and columns until I tried to zero out the 7 cells in that row using the Range().ClearContents command:
Sub HUColumns()
BeginColumn = 4
EndColumn = 42
ChkRow = 1

With Worksheets("HISTORICAL FINANCIAL")
For ColCnt = BeginColumn To EndColumn
If .Cells(ChkRow, ColCnt).Value = 1 Then
.Cells(ChkRow, ColCnt).EntireColumn.Hidden = True
Range(RowCnt, 5).ClearContents
Range(RowCnt, 10).ClearContents
Range(RowCnt, 15).ClearContents
Range(RowCnt, 20).ClearContents
Range(RowCnt, 25).ClearContents
Range(RowCnt, 30).ClearContents
Range(RowCnt, 35).ClearContents
Else
.Cells(ChkRow, ColCnt).EntireColumn.Hidden = False
End If
Next ColCnt

BeginRow = 15
EndRow = 40
ChkCol = 1
For RowCnt = BeginRow To EndRow
If Cells(RowCnt, ChkCol).Value = 1 Then
Cells(RowCnt, ChkCol).EntireRow.Hidden = True
Else
Cells(RowCnt, ChkCol).EntireRow.Hidden = False
End If
Next RowCnt
End With
End Sub
Since the 7 columns are all spaced apart by 4, I also tried adding:
For RowCnt = BeginRow To EndRow
If Cells(RowCnt, ChkCol).Value = 1 Then
Cells(RowCnt, ChkCol).EntireRow.Hidden = True
Cells(RowCnt, ChkCol + 4).Select<o:p></o:p>
Selection.ClearContents
Else
Cells(RowCnt, ChkCol).EntireRow.Hidden = False
End If
Next RowCnt
End With
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Hi
try these codes
Code:
dim a as long, b as long
worksheets("("HISTORICAL FINANCIAL").select
for b = 2 to Range("D65536").end(xlup).row
if cells(b,4) = "" then
For a = 5 to 30 step 5
cells(b,a) = ""
next a
rows(b).entirerow.hidden = true
next b
Msgbox "Complete"
if rows in col d is blank, it clears every fifth column and hides those rows and .
Ravi

Upvote 0
Ravishankar -

Thanks very much for your help. My code was not very efficient, I appreciate your assistance. Many Thanks

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nmaske

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back