Help referencing different workbook when calling literal Excel function

SliderJeff

Board Regular
Hey guys,

Thanks to several users here, I was able to add a function into my VBA which calculated the STDEV.P on a bunch of data (977k rows in a single column). However, I now need to change this code to calculate STDEV.P on data located in a workbook called "inputWorkbook" and store it into a cell located in a workbook called "outputWorkbook".

What I have currently is writing the data into the correct cell within outputWorkbook, but it's performing the STDEV.P on the data in that same workbook instead of the inputWorkbook like I need it to.

Here's what I have:

Code:
' Find Row with last value in it
LR = inputWorkbook.Worksheets(fileName).Cells(inputWorkbook.Worksheets(fileName).Rows.count, "D").End(xlUp).Row

outputWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(10 + fileNum * FILE_OFFSET, 3).FormulaArray = "=STDEV.P(IF(B2:B" & LR & "<>0,B2:B" & LR & "))"

How do I modify the right hand side of the equation such that I can call this literal Excel function version of STDEV.P on the data located in inputWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1")?

My Googling didn't yield much in the way of showing people calling literal Excel functions instead of the VBA versions from one Workbook to another. It could be that I didn't know that right keywords to use to get at the info I needed, though.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Regards,
Jeff

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Ok, I'm still hitting stumbling blocks here. I tried the following and keep getting "Compile error, Expected: end of statement" and it highlights the "B2" portion of the code below:
Code:
outputWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Cells(10 + fileNum * FILE_OFFSET, 3).FormulaArray = "=STDEV.P(IF(inputWorkbook.Worksheets(fileName).Range("B2:B")" & LR & "<>0,inputWorkbook.Worksheets(fileName).Range("B2:B")" & LR & "))"

I've tried messing around with using the exclamation mark before "B2:B" ala this example code:

Code:
Range("K10").FormulaArray = "=STDEVP(IF('[Book1.xlsx]Sheet1'!B2:B" & LR & "<>0,'[Book1.xlsx]Sheet1'!B2:B" & LR & "))"

but that resulted in a different "run-time 1004 error: Unable to set the FormulaArray property of Range class" issue. I also tried using Columns("B2:B") instead of Range, and got the same compiler error as when I used Range.

Appreciate any help.

Regards,
Jeff

Thanks,
Jeff

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jest

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back