Help with Embed Macro

Mldeuser

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello

I need some assistance with the below macro.

VBA Code:
Sub Embed()
'
' Embed Macro
'

'
    ActiveSheet.Shapes.Range(Array("Object 775")).Select
    Selection.Delete
    Range("G11").Select
    ActiveSheet.OLEObjects.Add(Filename:= _
        "N:\FR\2020\10.2020\Reporting\03. Final PDFs\Individual Reports\Sample.pdf", Link:=False, DisplayAsIcon:=True, IconFileName:= _
        "C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{AC76BA86-1033-FFFF-7760-0C0F074E4100}\_PDFFile.ico", _
        IconIndex:=0, IconLabel:="Sample").Select
End Sub

1. How to get it to delete the old embedded file, the first line of the macro is not working.
2. Is there a way to have the file path change each month. The workbook name changes each month (10.2020) and the workbook and PDF files are stored in monthly folder. The PDF file name stays the same.
3 Can this macro be in my personal workbook instead of the client workbook.

Thank s for any assistance

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
1. How to get it to delete the old embedded file, the first line of the macro is not working.

Assuming that the name of your object (the name that appears in the Name Box) is in fact "Object 775", and that the active sheet contains the object, try...

VBA Code:
ActiveSheet.Shapes("Object 775").Delete

2. Is there a way to have the file path change each month. The workbook name changes each month (10.2020) and the workbook and PDF files are stored in monthly folder. The PDF file name stays the same.

Assuming that the day will always be two digits (ie. 01.2020, 02.2020, and so on until 12.2020), try...

VBA Code:
Filename:="N:\FR\2020\" & Format(Date, "dd.yyyy") & "\Reporting\03. Final PDFs\Individual Reports\Sample.pdf", _

Otherwise, change the formatting to
VBA Code:
Format(Date, "d.yyyy")

3 Can this macro be in my personal workbook instead of the client workbook.

Have a look at the following link...

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It looks like each month you will be deleting the existing embedded file, and then replacing it with a new and current one. If so, here's a way to handle it without having to hard code the object's name into the code each time. First, re-name your existing object (using the Name Box) with a meaningful name. For this example, let's name it Report. Then, try the following macro. Each time it's run, it first deletes the object named Report, then it adds the current new file, and then names it Report.

VBA Code:
Sub Embed()

Const EMBEDDED_FILE_NAME As String = "Report" 'change the name as desired

On Error Resume Next
    ActiveSheet.Shapes(EMBEDDED_FILE_NAME).Delete
    On Error GoTo 0

Dim oleObj As OLEObject
    Set oleObj = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects.Add( _
            Filename:="N:\FR\2020\" & Format(Date, "dd.yyyy") & "\Reporting\03. Final PDFs\Individual Reports\Sample.pdf", _
            Link:=False, _
            DisplayAsIcon:=True, _
            IconFileName:="C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{AC76BA86-1033-FFFF-7760-0C0F074E4100}\_PDFFile.ico", _
            IconIndex:=0, _
            IconLabel:="Sample")

With oleObj
        .Name = EMBEDDED_FILE_NAME
        .Left = Range("G11").Left
        .Top = Range("G11").Top
    End With

End Sub

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Quick question, can the macro look at the tab name and make that the active sheet. There are a few tabs that have embedded documents. I was thinking if this is possible I could copy the macro and paste it below the "End With" and update for the next tab and so on

Thank you

Upvote 0
Sorry, but I don't understand your question. Can you please clarify?

Upvote 0
On Error Resume Next
ActiveSheet.Shapes(EMBEDDED_FILE_NAME).Delete
On Error GoTo 0

Can the above look at the tab name instead of the active sheet.

Upvote 0
To specify a particular worksheet instead of the active worksheet, try the following macro instead. I've assume that Sheet1 contains the embedded file, and that it's located within the workbook running the programming. Change the references to the workbook and/or worksheet where specified as required.

VBA Code:
Sub Embed()

Const EMBEDDED_FILE_NAME As String = "Report" 'change the name as desired

Dim sourceWorksheet As Worksheet
    Set sourceWorksheet = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1") 'change the workbook and sheet references accordingly

On Error Resume Next
    sourceWorksheet.Shapes(EMBEDDED_FILE_NAME).Delete
    On Error GoTo 0

Dim oleObj As OLEObject
    Set oleObj = sourceWorksheet.OLEObjects.Add( _
            Link:=False, _
            DisplayAsIcon:=True, _
            IconFileName:="C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{AC76BA86-1033-FFFF-7760-0C0F074E4100}\_PDFFile.ico", _
            IconIndex:=0, _
            IconLabel:="Sample")

With oleObj
        .Name = EMBEDDED_FILE_NAME
        .Left = Range("G11").Left
        .Top = Range("G11").Top
    End With

End Sub

Upvote 0

In this line if Ieave the date as is "dd.yyyy" I get an error stating it cannot find the file the date referenced in the error is 12.2020. If I change the dd.yyyy to 10.2020 i get the same error however the date changes to "144147.2020"

I am not sure what I may be doing wrong.

Upvote 0
Check to make sure that the path to the file is correct. Actually, enter the following line in the Immediate Window ( Ctrl+G ), and press the Enter key...

VBA Code:
? Dir("N:\FR\2020\" & Format(Date, "dd.yyyy") & "\Reporting\03. Final PDFs\Individual Reports\Sample.pdf", vbNormal)

If the path and filename are correct, it should return the name of the file, which in this case is Sample.pdf. Does it return the filename?

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back