Hidden Macro Shortcut Using Shift, Ctrl, Alt Keys?

CaliKidd

Board Regular
I am using Excel 2007. I am designing a workbook that others will use. I want to create a "reset" feature, which is a hidden macro that launches a userform that will allow the user to reset the workboook (i.e., clear saved settings in various cells).

I want to create a Reset subroutine that meets the following criteria:

1. Macro can only be launched if a certain keystroke combination is used; e.g., {Shift}{Ctrl}{Alt}{~}

Note: It doesn't have to be that exact keyboard combo. I just want it to be a multi-key combo of keys not commonly used so it isn't triggered by accident.

2. It is not visible from the macro box that shows a list of macros available to run. I don't want the users running this macro by mistake or tempting nosey users to run it to "see what it does."

How is this best accomplished in VBA?

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
For the record, I found the answer after researching the matter further.

This helpful link (http://www.rondebruin.nl/key.htm) explains the Application.OnKey command should be placed in the Workbook_Activate and Workbook_Deactivate events.

Issue resolved.

Upvote 0
Oops, I jumped the gun with my last statement. To be clear, I should state that issue #1 is resolved. The second issue is still open.

When I use the Application.OnKey "+^{RIGHT}", "YourMacroName" command in the Workbook_Activate event, the problem is the macro has to have public scope in order to run. The macro I am using is very simple:

Rich (BB code):
Sub YourMacroName
Rich (BB code):
  MyForm.Show 'this displays a userform
End Sub
** Sorry, for some unknown reason, the forum software is splitting my code.

Since it has public scope, it shows up in the list of macros. I don't want this macro to appear in this list of macros that can be seen (and, therefore, run without using the multi-key combination). The only way I know how to remove a macro from the list is to make it a private sub, but in doing so it is not within scope of the Application.OnKey command.

Is there a way to make a global macro not appear in the list of macros (the dialog box that appears when you click Developer-Macro)? In other words, hide a public macro from view, but not execution?

Upvote 0
Okay, I realize I am talking to myself on this board, lol, but I am posting follow-ups for the benefit of anyone else that may have the same questions in the future.

I think I found the answer to the second issue -- putting 'Option Private Module' at the beginning of the standard module makes it not appear in the list of macros, but the macros are still available for execution.

I haven't fully tested it yet, but for now consider the issues solved. ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdahsankhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back