How to assign a value to a variable with a function that's from a COM Add-In?

KS_user

Hello everyone,

I have a COM Add-In on my Excel 2010 sheet. Does anyone have experience with such Add-Ins, and if so, have you found difficulty with using the Add-In in the same way that you would use other excel functions in VBA?

For example, I have this function "=EDS_Value" that comes from the Add-In. I used it in a macro as part of the following statement:

.Cells(i, 5).FormulaR1C1 = "=EDS_Value(MasterTagList!R" & f & "C4, RC[-1])"

and it works absolutely fine. However, when I try to assign a function output value to a variable, it flips out. The following statement:

PowerLoad = "=EDS_Value(MasterTagList!R" & f & "C5, R" & i & "C4)"

does not work. I've tried adding Application.WorksheetFunction.EDS_Value in front, but that doesn't work either. The Add-In itself has a button to make user-defined functions, so I used that to make the same function as "EDS_Value", except I called it "PointValue" (I confirmed that the PointValue and EDS_Value functions are identical by entering them into cells in a worksheet, and they generate the same value) Then, a module popped up in the VBA project window titled "EDSExcel_UserDefinedFunctions" with the following statement:

Public Function PointValue(point1, timestamp1)
PointValue = Application.COMAddIns("EDSExcel.AddinModule").Object.CallUserDefinedFunction(ThisWorkbook.Name, "PointValue", point1,timestamp1)
End Function

So I used tried to use that function syntax in a test module:

Sub Practice2()
Dim z As Double
z = Application.COMAddIns("EDSExcel.AddinModule").Object.CallUserDefinedFunction(ThisWorkbook.Name, "PointValue", Range("D9"), Range("D18"))
MsgBox z
End Sub

But 'z' is consistently zero, when the value should be around 8.9. Does anyone know why this might be? Why is it that I can use the Add-In function just fine when I enter it into a cell on the worksheet, or when I use it as part of a macro in FormulaR1C1 format, but not when I try and assign the function's output to a variable?

Last bit of information: When I started writing lines of code that use the Add-In function in ways that don't work (i.e. not R1C1 format), now, every time I save my workbook I get the message "This workbook contains features that may not be compatible with Excel Macro-Enabled workbook. Do you want to save the workbook in a new format?" I only think this might be important because the message never showed up before when I was using the Add-In functions in the R1C1 format.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thank you!

Because it's part of a literal string. VBA doesn't see them as variables.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
So, I know the answer now in case you're curious. I talked to the people who built my plug-in, and they pointed out something that should've been obvious. One of the arguments of the EDS_Value function, "point 1", is pulled from an external data source. It shows a #NULL value until I hit the 'recalculate' button that is built into the plug-in. This recalculate button cannot be automated from VBA, unfortunately. So this means that I can still enter the EDS_Value formula into a cell, which will generate #NULL, but that becomes a numerical value when I hit recalculate. Any formulas dependent on that cell register as #VALUE until I hit recalculate, and then they also become numerical values.

However, the downside of this is that I cannot store an EDS_Value as part of a variable, because the value is #NULL until I hit recalculate. And because I can't automate recalculate through VBA, Excel rejects my attempt to store the value in a variable. Oh well.

Thanks anyway for your advice! Especially about the 'Evaluate' function :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JazzSingerNL

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back