How to automatically adjust autofilter (no VBA) applied to a dynamic array?

vincethesun

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi folks,

I'm not sure if this is a simple tricky function hidden somewhere but I've been searching for an answer to this question or something similar but didn't find anything relevant about it.

The problem is that I created a table using dynamic array formulas with Excel 365 and applied autofilter to this table-like dynamic array. For instance, a quite simple array with SEQUENCE function: "=SEQUENCE(2, 10)" which gives a 2*10 dynamic array. If I apply an autofilter to this array, then the little filter buttons expand from column 1 to column 10.

img1.png

Now if I change the formula to "=SEQUENCE(2, 8)", the array becmes 2*8 so I'm expecting the little filter buttons to automatically expand from 10 columns initially to 8 columns now. However, this is not happening. The autofilter buttons still expand from column 1 to column 10 even though columns 9 and 10 become blank.

img2.png

Conversely, if the initial array is 2*8 with autofilter applied, and when it changes from 2*8 to 2*10, the autofilter won't add 2 more autofilter buttons to columns 9 and 10.

img3.png

img4.png

So, I'm wondering if there is a permanent way (not using VBA) to make autofilter dynamically adjust to an dynamic array span.

Appreciate if someone can shed light on this and feel free to post your comment if you are interested in the same.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
So, I'm wondering if there is a permanent way (not using VBA) to make autofilter dynamically adjust to an dynamic array span.
Not that I know of. I think you are stuck with toggling the filter off/on to reset it each time you need it changed.

Upvote 0
Not that I know of. I think you are stuck with toggling the filter off/on to reset it each time you need it changed.
Hi severynm,

Absolutely. If there's no such magic of dynamic autofilter option for dynamic arrays, what a pity! Highly recommend them adding such option to cope with the all-powerful dynamic arrays. Dynamic functionalities should work together, right?

Upvote 0
Highly recommend them adding such option to cope with the all-powerful dynamic arrays. Dynamic functionalities should work together, right?
I mean, that's literally what VBA and/or the newer Office Scripts are for.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vivek chauhan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back