How to automatically create new worksheet based on selecting data through Data Validation drop down

Sarrah91

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I have budgets of several departments and I need to send them details.

I have a master file with data validation, now I want to create multiple worksheets when I change or toggle with the data validation input. Is this possible?

I am currently doing it through the conventional way and it's tedious, taking the data to a separate worksheet, breaking the links saving to a separate workbook and then sending it over to the department.

For instance, from the screenshot below, let's say when I select 'A2' from the data validation list, I want a new sheet to be created with the name of 'A2'.

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    30.1 KB · Views: 17

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Do you want the new sheet to be blank? It is hard to work with a picture. It would be easier to help if you could use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to attach a screenshot (not a picture) of your sheet. Alternately, you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Explain in detail what you want to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and sheets using a few examples from your data (de-sensitized if necessary).

Upvote 0
Do you want the new sheet to be blank? It is hard to work with a picture. It would be easier to help if you could use the XL2BB add-in (icon in the menu) to attach a screenshot (not a picture) of your sheet. Alternately, you could upload a copy of your file to a free site such as www.box.com or www.dropbox.com. Once you do that, mark it for 'Sharing' and you will be given a link to the file that you can post here. Explain in detail what you want to do referring to specific cells, rows, columns and sheets using a few examples from your data (de-sensitized if necessary).
I want the new sheet to contain data taken from D2 to F7.

Upvote 0
Copy and paste this macro into the worksheet code module. Do the following: right click the tab name for your sheet and click 'View Code'. Paste the macro into the empty code window that opens up. Close the code window to return to your sheet. Select a value in B1.
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Target.CountLarge > 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Target.Address(0, 0) <> "B1" Then Exit Sub
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Range("D2:F7").Copy
    Sheets.Add after:=Sheets(Sheets.Count)
    ActiveSheet.Name = Target.Value
    Sheets(Target.Value).Range("A1").PasteSpecial
    With Application
        .CutCopyMode = False
        .EnableEvents = True
        .ScreenUpdating = True
    End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Copy and paste this macro into the worksheet code module. Do the following: right click the tab name for your sheet and click 'View Code'. Paste the macro into the empty code window that opens up. Close the code window to return to your sheet. Select a value in B1.
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Target.CountLarge > 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Target.Address(0, 0) <> "B1" Then Exit Sub
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Range("D2:F7").Copy
    Sheets.Add after:=Sheets(Sheets.Count)
    ActiveSheet.Name = Target.Value
    Sheets(Target.Value).Range("A1").PasteSpecial
    With Application
        .CutCopyMode = False
        .EnableEvents = True
        .ScreenUpdating = True
    End With
End Sub
This is pure code. IT WORKED. Thank you sooo much. May you achieve all the success in the world. Only one thing I also have a bar graph which isn't being copied, but I think I will add it manually. I also want to learn coding, how to start?

Upvote 0
This is pure code. IT WORKED. Thank you sooo much. May you achieve all the success in the world. Only one thing I also have a bar graph which isn't being copied, but I think I will add it manually. I also want to learn coding, how to start?
*gold

Upvote 0
You are very welcome. :)
I found that the best way to learn VBA on your own is to use on-line tutorials, searching the web for specific areas of interest and following forums such as this one. The volunteers on sites such as this one are invaluable at providing help. I would suggest you keep a file of codes that you find useful and in this way you can build up a library that you can refer to. A lot is also trail and error. The following links may be of help:

The more you practise, the better your get at it. Good luck with it!!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back