How to build a (beta?) distribution based on limited data?

joeu2004

Banned user
Office Version
  1. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
How can we build a distribution model based on the following limited data?

For a particular (Schwab) model portfolio, we have only the following historical data for some 44-year period:

worst return: -12.5%
best return: 27.0%
arithmetic avg return: 9.1%
#years with negative returns: 6
arithmetic avg negative return: -4.4%
arithmetic avg non-negative return: 11.2% [1]

One obvious way to build a distribution might be the following:
Code:
=IF(RAND()<6/44,
 IF(RAND()<0.5,-RANDBETWEEN(44,125),-RANDBETWEEN(0,44)),
 IF(RAND()<0.5,RANDBETWEEN(0,112),RANDBETWEEN(112,270)))/10

That assumes a uniform distribution of returns between the known data points. We really have no data to support that assumption -- or any other assumption, for that matter.

Nevertheless, I wonder: can we derive a beta distribution that "closely" fits the data?

I don't know much about how to work with the beta distribution. But I notice that
=BETADIST(A1,5,2,-12.5,27) produces a general shape that I would expect for the data above, where A1:A100 are uniformly distributed values between -12.5 to 27.

I arbitrarily chose alpha=2 and beta=5 based on the "beta distribution" wiki page. I notice that changing the ratio of alpha and beta changes the skew. And changing the magnitude of alpha and beta changes the kurtosis.

But I have no clue about how to manage alpha and beta so the resulting beta distribution "closely" fits the data -- other than to try random values.

(Even then, I don't know how to constrain the range of random alpha and beta so that the distribution curve maintains the desired general shape.)

I would appreciate any constructive thoughts about how to choose alpha and beta for BETADIST or about a different distribution that "closely" fits that data.

TIA.

Some motivations.... The segmented uniform distribution above clips values at the extremes. That distorts the average negative and non-negative returns, as well as the overall average. Also, in financial analysis, it is common to assume a normal distribution of returns in the long-run. So some kind of "bell-shaped" curve -- like a "normal-like" beta distribution -- seems like a reasonable choice.

PS.... What "closely fits" means is TBD. For now, assume that it is subjective.

-----
[1] The arithmetic avg non-negative return is derived from the other data based on a weighted arithmetic avg, to wit:
=(9.1 - (-4.4)*6/44)*44/38 / 100

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.
I keep getting things that are cumulative distributions when using BETADIST. Are you looking for that or a probability distribution? In order to model a uniform distribution from -12.5 to 27, I used the values -12 through 27 in one column and your betadist setup in the other and did a scatterplot.

Upvote 0
I keep getting things that are cumulative distributions when using BETADIST.

My bad! I should have said
=BETADIST(A2,5,2,-12.5,27) - BETADIST(A1,5,2,-12.5,27)
produces the general shape that I expect, based on the wiki page.

PS.... I want to delete or otherwise terminate this discussion. It is not an Excel question. I might not participate further.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent Khandagale

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back