How to call a workbook-level macro from any sheet

EdNerd

This seems like it has an easy answer, but it's eluding me. One of the supervisors created a calendar-styled worksheet, with a column of names and the dates as the top row. There's a section of color codes for different items (probably trainings), and various cells for each person filled with the needed color. I created a macro (in Module 1, not ThisWorkbook) for counting the colors for each name.

The problem I saw was that if I put a Command Button on the sheet, or used a cell and Worksheet_SelectionChange, and he simply created a new blank sheet next month and copied over his colors and names, he would have no way to call the macro. He might put a command in the QAT - but it won't work if he's on vacation and someone else keeps this up for a while. Right now he uses ALT+F8 and selects the macro.

Is there a better way for a situation like this?

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
If the "calendar-styled worksheet" contains a button, the button will still be available on a copy of the worksheet with its associated link to the macro. So I don't see the problem, provided that the code of the macro refers to the "active sheet" and not to Sheets("Calendar-Styled-Sheet")

As a more complex solution, you could add a command on the QAT and take this customization with the workbook, so whoever will open the workbook will have the command available. For this, when you customize the QAT you need to specify that the customization has to be saved for the current document; search for "Customize the QAT", or look at the linked image, drop-down-list marked C (sorry, it is not in English, but should be sufficient to locate the position of the option).

Upvote 0
If the "calendar-styled worksheet" contains a button, the button will still be available on a copy of the worksheet with its associated link to the macro. So I don't see the problem, provided that the code of the macro refers to the "active sheet" and not to Sheets("Calendar-Styled-Sheet")

As a more complex solution, you could add a command on the QAT and take this customization with the workbook, so whoever will open the workbook will have the command available. For this, when you customize the QAT you need to specify that the customization has to be saved for the current document; search for "Customize the QAT", or look at the linked image, drop-down-list marked C (sorry, it is not in English, but should be sufficient to locate the position of the option).

Thank you for the reply. The problem with placing any kind of button on the worksheet is that I can not guarantee he will copy the entire sheet - he may just create a new sheet, and then copy over his colors and names. In that case, the button isn't available on the new sheet.

I might be able to feed him instructions on customizing the QAT just for that file. Thank you for that idea.

Ed

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinneytwin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back