How to copy column range to another column using formula in 1 cell?

romis

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

How to copy column range to another column only using formula in one/first cell? So if I change something in COL_1, I immediately see the same changes in COL_2.
Annotation 2020-07-10 193118.png

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
As far as I know, that is not possible using Excel 2019.

Upvote 0
You would have to put the following formula in cell F3:
=A3
and copy down for all your data rows.

Note that you CANNOT put a formula in one cell, and have it populate other cells (using just formulas). Formulas can only return values to the cells they are put in. They cannot "write" information to cells other than the one they are put in.

To have it do it automatically with only populating one cell would require VBA. If you are interested in seeing a VBA solution, please explain the exact logic, such as:
1. What is "triggering" it to run? More specifically, what cells are we watching to be updated to cause it to run?
2. Once it is triggered to run, what is the logic for determing exactly which column to copy from? It may be obvious if there is only one other populated column, but what if multiple columns are already populated on the worksheet?

Upvote 0
The trigger is the change of information in source column. I didn't think it may require VBA.
What about using array?

Upvote 0
To do it with a formula in a single cell would require 365 with dynamic arrays. Why can't you use a formula in multiple cells?

Upvote 0
To do it with a formula in a single cell would require 365 with dynamic arrays. Why can't you use a formula in multiple cells?

I do not want to use formula in multiple cells, because if someone will delete, insert, cut&paste data in the source column, my COL_2 formulas and order will messed up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In that case you will need to answer Joe's questions in post#3

Upvote 0
In that case you will need to answer Joe's questions in post#3
I found solution to not mess-up formulas, when changing sourse column, using this copied down formula, because the range A:A never change: =OFFSET(A:A;2;0;ROWS(A:A)-2)

Upvote 0
Glad you solved it & thanks for letting us know.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back