How to distinguish between named ranges defined with same name on 2 different workbooks?

Kelvin Stott

Hello, I have 2 different versions of a workbook open, both contain the same named range and scope at workbook level. How do I distinguish between these and refer to the named range in one workbook or another?

Initially I thought I could use something like Workbook1.Range("MyNamedRange") vs Workbook2.Range("MyNamedRange"), but I realize that the range object does not link directly to a workbook object, and I would rather avoid doing this via a worksheet object, given that the ranges are scoped at workbook level.

Meanwhile it is not clear to me which workbook I would be referring to with just Range("MyNamedRange") and no workbook reference. Hmmm... :(

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
You can activate the workbook that contains the named range you wish to refer to before referring to the named range for that workbook.
VBA Code:
Sub test()
'assume both workbooks have a range named "dog" scoped at workbook level
Dim Wb1 As Workbook, Wb2 As Workbook
Set Wb1 = Workbooks("Book1"): Set Wb2 = Workbooks("Book2")
Wb2.Activate: Range("dog").Select
Wb1.Activate: Range("dog").Select
End Sub

Upvote 0
You can activate the workbook that contains the named range you wish to refer to before referring to the named range for that workbook.
VBA Code:
Sub test()
Dim Wb1 As Workbook, Wb2 As Workbook
Wb2.Activate: Range("dog").Select
Wb1.Activate: Range("dog").Select
End Sub
Thanks, it's a nice idea, but I was also hoping to avoid selecting or activating anything as I need to keep workbook_activate and other events enabled in the background. Plus I want to keep both workbooks in the background, out of sight behind a third (active) workbook which contains the VBA code.

Is there no direct way to distinguish and refer to these two ranges by explicit reference, while keeping the 2 workbooks in the background?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can define two ranges, say Nm1 and Nm2, via activation at the outset and then work with those ranges without having to activate/select further.
VBA Code:
Sub test()
Dim Wb1 As Workbook, Wb2 As Workbook, Nm1 As Range, Nm2 As Range
Wb2.Activate: Range("dog").Select: Set Nm2 = Selection
Wb1.Activate: Range("dog").Select: Set Nm1 = Selection
Nm2.Value = 2
Nm1.Value = 1
End Sub

Upvote 0
Trouble is I am opening these workbooks in read only mode in the background, within the code itself, and I really want to avoid activating them into the foreground.

Besides I have always read and understood that it is best to avoid activating and selecting objects, where possible, and instead refer to objects by explicit reference, to avoid referring to the wrong object where selection or activation may be slow and/or unreliable (e.g., especially if the object is protected, with selection disabled), or where it may initiate some chain of events. Usually for this reason I try to follow this principle religiously, so am struggling to understand why this can't be done with named ranges at the workbook level...

So basically I still need an explicit object reference, based on the named range as well as a workbook reference, but without activating or selecting anything.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So I did some more research on my own, and found the required syntax to answer my original question:

Wbk1.Names("MyNamedRange").RefersToRange

This gives a fully qualified explicit reference which includes the named range as well as the appropriate workbook reference, exactly what I needed. :)

Meanwhile I also found this very useful thread in another forum:

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoracer88

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back