How to dynamically pull data from Google Insights for Search into excel using macro?

spencerwalsh

Hello,

I am new to VBA coding and have a question. I would like to pull data from Google Insights for search into excel using a macro.

A similar example would be pulling historical stock data from Yahoo Finance using excel. You would type in the stock ticker, start date, and end date into excel. The macro would then develop the dynamic url, and the pull the .csv file generated from Yahoo Finance.

I would like to do the same with Google Insights for search.

To walk you through the steps, go to:
http://www.google.com/insights/search/

Type in "chicago" in the search bar and hit search.

It generates the URL : http://www.google.com/insights/search/#q=chicago&cmpt=q

I the upper right hand corner there is a CSV file with the historical data of the search volume for the word "chicago". This is the file that I want excel to pull.

I have already figured out the url to automatically download the csv file:

http://www.google.com/insights/search/overviewReport?q=chicago&cmpt=q&content=1&export=2

What VBA code would allow me to just type "chicago" into a cell, run the macro, and have that data automatically pulled into excel? I have previously written the code for the Yahoo Finance example I gave above, but when I try to adjust it to use Google Insights it will not please.

Please let me know if you have any ideas. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Hello,

I am working on the same thing at the moment. I was initially thinking of a way to download the page(html) and then go through the data, but it seems your idea saves a lot of hasle and imports everything in excel.

I'll be working on this idea as well and update you if I make any progress ( although I am new to VB as well).

How did you manage to make it work from yahoo finance? ( what's the VB code for it?)

Many thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevenciu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back