How to hide some columns while allowing users to 'Format Columns'

hcgood

Hi, I've spent several hours searching everywhere and cannot find a solution that quite fits my situation. Surprising because I'd think this is a common need.
I need to allow users to resize some columns, but other columns where I have my calculations I want to hide from users. But I cannot find a way to do this, with or without VBA.
Everything I've tried, even though the worksheet is locked, allows the user to resize even hidden and locked columns so they become visible.
This is because on the Protect Sheet popup list I need to have the 'Format Columns' box checked. This seems to enable every column to be resized so as to be visible.
I want the Column Label bar to remain visible.

I've tried:
--Limiting scrolling area, but even then the user can Zoom the worksheet very small, then view the hidden column region and unhide them (resize them) one by one.
--Hiding columns with VBA, but checking "Format Columns' in the Protect Sheet popup seems to override this.
--Autosize, but doesn't seem a desirable solution.

If I'm not understanding something here please show me my blind spot! VBA or non-VBA help would be appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
I realize it might not be ideal, but why not just move those calculations to a different sheet? You would still be able to reference between sheets, and would be able to lock it

Upvote 0
I realize it might not be ideal, but why not just move those calculations to a different sheet? You would still be able to reference between sheets, and would be able to lock it
Yes, you're right, that would be possible and I could consider it, but it is soooo helpful when I'm tweaking formulas, etc, to have those hidden columns right beside the columns they reference so I can see them both on same screen. Sigh.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back