How to highlight cells when using Excel VBA conditional formatting?

Peter_Parker

Okay so I am stuck and would appreciate any help or advice at all.
I am trying to highlight the cells that meet two conditions. That is to say, in this particular case if the absolute value in a cell is greater than 3 and this same absolute value is greater than another value in an adjacent cell then the cell gets highlighted. So for example, my data looks like this:
-1.2, 1.71, 6.26, 10.2, 3.3, 0.4 4 -4
So if the absolute values of any of the six values on the left are greater than 3 and also greater than four (the adjacent four on the right) then they get highlighted. The adjacent value will change and not always be four. I need to do this in VBA and I want the code to work in such a way that when I move to another line of data similar to the one above the two conditions are tested and the correct values are highlighted. So this is what I have written so far in VBA.
<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, 'Lucida Console', 'Liberation Mono', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Courier New', monospace, sans-serif; white-space: inherit;">Selection.FormatConditions.Delete
Selection
.FormatConditions.Add Type:=xlExpression, Formula1:= _
"=AND(ABS(RC) >3,ABS(RC) >RC[9])"
Selection
.FormatConditions(1).Interior.ColorIndex = 45</code>The problem:
I am using the R1C1 format as I want it to update automatically when I apply this code to another row of data. But currently this code only highlights the number 10.2 and not the 6.26 as well as it should. I think that if I leave the code as ABS(RC) this will refer to the current cell value? Please advise. Also the number 4 (adjacent cell) is nine columns from the first value -1.2 - hence me writing RC[9].

So just to try and be clear again, The reference for the second condition is also relative (not fixed) 2) I won't have the cellcontaining the second condition highlighted . What I want is for the cells that I have selected to be highlighted if the absolute value of that cell is greater than the value of the second condition (and greater than 3 - condition 1). In this case I want to see 6.26 and 10.2 highlighted as they are greater than 3 and greater than 4. For some reason this is just not happening.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
For your second condition, is that number always the last column in the row? I'm confused at how you know 4 is the 2nd condition in your example for both 6.26 and 10.2. Also is there a reason you are using conditional formatting vs. just highlighting the cell?

I would use something like this:
Code:
Sub PeterParker()
Dim lcolumn As Integer
Dim MyRow As Long
Dim i As Long

MyRow = ActiveCell.Row
lcolumn = Cells(MyRow, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column

For i = 1 To lcolumn - 1
    If Abs(Cells(MyRow, i)) > 3 And Abs(Cells(MyRow, i)) > Cells(MyRow, lcolumn) Then Cells(MyRow, i).Interior.ColorIndex = 6
Next i

End Sub

It will check every cell in the row you have selected and check it against the number 3 and the last value within that column.

You could write a loop to have it move to every row in your data set. I would reccomend posting a more detailed explanation in the future or posting an example workbook with an example of what you are looking for.

Sincerely,

Max

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mgro123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back