How to make a PowerPivot version of an Excel Pivot Table that uses a calculated percentage field?

kcmuppet

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I'm trying to create a PowerPivot version of an Excel 2016 Pivot Table that uses a calculated percentage field.

I have fields in my data table as follows:

[Units] (whole number)
[Ceiling] (whole number)
[Penetration] (decimal number, formatted as percentage, calculated as [Units] divided by [Ceiling]
[City] (text)
[Region] (text)

I have a standard Excel Pivot Table that has rows Region and City, and for values Units, Ceiling and a calculated field called [Estimated Penetration] with the formula =SUM(Units/Ceiling) to show the percentages for each. (I can't use the [Penetration] data from the table because the Pivot Tables don't correctly aggregate percentages).

My question is: how can I show the same figures using Power Pivot (and then use those figures in Power View)? I know it has to do with creating a 'measure' but haven't been able to work it out using the online help and have no experience yet with DAX.

Somebody's kind help would be greatly appreciated!

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
You need to write a grand total measure, then divide the original measure with the grand total.
Total Units = sum(tableName[units])
Grand Total = calculate([Total Units],ALL(tableName))
% of units = divide(Total units], [grand total])

but there is a lot to learn. You may like to read my book - it will help you get good quickly. :).

Learn to Write DAX - Excelerator BI

Matt

Upvote 0
Thanks Matt,

I had stumbled my way to:

% of Units:=CALCULATE(SUM([Units]) / sum([Ceiling]))

...which seems to work like my original calculated field, an as much as it shows the % of Units in the visible row of the pivot. If I've understood what you've written, it will show the % of Units in terms of the proportion of the in the visible row of the pivot relative to the total of the units in the whole underlying data table - is that right?

Thanks

Upvote 0
correct - i must have misunderstood what you were after. Your formula should work without the CALCULATE
=sum(table[units]) / sum(table[ceiling])

The calculate adds no value in your formula. You should also ALWAYS specify the table name in front of the column name. This makes it easier to identify a measure as opposed to a column in a formula.

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheerfulWalker

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back