how to prevent workbook from updating hyperlinks (it does it no matter what)

kbishop94

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
The hyperlinks are all in a specific column. The links are all to jpg pictures that are all contained in the same folder and location. (some cells have a link , and some do not.)

The links all look like this, with only the file name, "22-1187" in this case, being changed inside each cell that contains a hyperlink.
links.JPG

The links are accessed whenever the user opens a userform to view a specific record. If a picture is available for that record (if there is a hyperlink address available in the cell shown in the previous picture) then it loads the picture into the userform as so: (and if no address is in the specific cell, then it simply ignores the command to populate the frame with a picture)
example-.jpg

But here is my big problem....

This only works for me on my work station and computer(!) :unsure:

The reason for this is that the actual address for the link's location doesnt look like it does in the first picture... No, instead it actually looks like this: (this is what it shows whenever you hover over the cell containing the hyperlink)
actual link address.jpg

As you can see, it no longer directs to "J:\QMS_General Facility\INCIDENT LOGS\....." but instead it has replaced the "J:\" with the prefix: "file:///\\seaserver\mydocs". Well this means that no one else can open up the workbook from their workstation and have the pic feature work for them. boo to that I say. What gives? Is there a way I can force excel to stop from automatically replacing the "J:\" with that "ile:///\\seaserver" nonsense?

I already have the command:

VBA Code:
ThisWorkbook.UpdateLinks = xlUpdateLinksNever

under a workbook open event, but it just ignores that alltogether and changes the links each and every time. :mad:

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dsharae57

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back