IF/INDEX function searching for cell value contained within string of text

coralasiy

Hi,

i think this may be relatively easy but I have been searching high and low and cant find an answer,

I have an index formula which uses an if function in order to return a figures generated from two criteria derived from outputs in other cells.

Formula works fine when the a value in the range it searches exactly match the value in the cell however I cannot seem to find a way get it to search the range and match if cells contains the value.

Formula below with the problem section highlighted:

Code:
=IFERROR(INDEX(Table1[[#All],[Credit]],SMALL(IF((Table1[[#All],[Entity]]=Sheet1!C1)*[U][B](Table1[[#All],[Transaction]]=(Sheet1!D1)[/B][/U]),ROW(Table1[[#All],[Entity]]),""),2),1),0)

Cell D1 on Sheet1 has a value generated by a formula say for example 'Apples'
Transaction Column in Table 1 contains values which may contain Apples but within an string of text say 'Apples 213'

I have tried putting "*"&D1&"*" around the cell reference, ISnumber(search and Isnumber(match(...etc to no avail,

Is there a way I can amend my formula so that I am able to use this formula searching in a range of values which contain the reference value within strings of text?

Thank you for your help!

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
HI Coralasiy,

Would be helpful if you can share a sample data here with your expected output manually entered. Thanks.

Regards,
DILIPandey

Upvote 0
Hi Dilipandey,

A sample of my data would look like this:

Sheet 1 contains the following table of date:

Column CColumn D
Test 1A
Test 1B
Test 1C

<tbody>
</tbody>

I then need to match those two variables to another table containing this data to generate an output from the column labelled 'Credit' below:

EntityTransactionCredit
Test 1Transaction A 9987
Test 2Transaction B 124£100
Test 3Transaction B 124£200
Test 1Transaction A 9987£100

<tbody>
</tbody>

In this instance I want the formula match the two variables and pick up the first value matched but ignore blanks.

So Test 1, A would search for Test 1 then A in the table above and return a value of £100.

My formula above works fine if the values in the 'transaction' column match those in the table for sheet 1 however I cannot seem to edit it so that it searches for 'A' within the text string in the 'transaction' column.

Formula pasted below again for reference:

Code:
=IFERROR(INDEX(Table1[[#All],[Credit]],SMALL(IF((Table1[[#All],[Entity]]=Sheet1!C1)*[U][B](Table1[[#All],[Transaction]]=(Sheet1!D1)[/B][/U]),ROW(Table1[[#All],[Entity]]),""),2),1),0)

I have tried every way I can think of listed above but cannot find a solution, any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks
****** id="cke_pastebin" style="position: absolute; top: 307px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden; left: -1000px;">
Transaction B 124

<tbody>
</tbody>
</body>

Upvote 0
Okay.. your first table in sheet 1 in column C & D.
Your second table in sheet 2 in column A to C.

Use below formula in cell E1 of sheet 1:-

=INDEX(Sheet2!$C$1:$C$5,MIN(ROWS((Sheet2!$A$1:$A$5=Sheet1!$C1)*(ISNUMBER(FIND(Sheet1!$D1,Sheet2!$B$1:$B$5)))*(Sheet2!$C$1:$C$5<>""))))

Entered as array formula which will fetch 100.

Regards,
DILIPandey

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daymo66

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back