If statements, weighted averages, by dates, with cap = random concoction.

Cole Parker

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Using a sample data set below:
I need to get a weighted average for adjusting rates in the future.
The rate will be tethered to Cell B2 which is NY Prime + the spread column, with a cap of max increase of 2% over their CURRENT rate, but i need a weighted average of the spread by the column E, Current Balance... i will leave a legend for the prime, so i can update the prime rate, update the data, and have a rolling repricing schedule - mid month and end of month.

I had a pretty decent if statement that added my prime rate cell, but when i add the weighted average and the max 2% threshold over the current rate, i am stuck mentally.
This formula gave me the average of all the spread rates (UNWEIGHTED) with a date range.
Clearly i just summed if the date was less than 9/15 it added the spread column, then divided by the count of anything less than 9/15 then added the prime rate i had inserted into B2.

=((SUMIF('Monthly Data'!F:F,"<9/15/2022",'Monthly Data'!M:M))/(COUNTIF('Monthly Data'!F:F,"<9/15/2022")))+B2

Suggestions?

1662656017591.png

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Using a sample data set below:
I need to get a weighted average for adjusting rates in the future.
The rate will be tethered to Cell B2 which is NY Prime + the spread column, with a cap of max increase of 2% over their CURRENT rate, but i need a weighted average of the spread by the column E, Current Balance... i will leave a legend for the prime, so i can update the prime rate, update the data, and have a rolling repricing schedule - mid month and end of month.

I had a pretty decent if statement that added my prime rate cell, but when i add the weighted average and the max 2% threshold over the current rate, i am stuck mentally.
This formula gave me the average of all the spread rates (UNWEIGHTED) with a date range.
Clearly i just summed if the date was less than 9/15 it added the spread column, then divided by the count of anything less than 9/15 then added the prime rate i had inserted into B2.

=((SUMIF('Monthly Data'!F:F,"<9/15/2022",'Monthly Data'!M:M))/(COUNTIF('Monthly Data'!F:F,"<9/15/2022")))+B2

Suggestions?

View attachment 73503
=SUMPRODUCT('Monthly Data'!M2:M147,'Monthly Data'!E2:E147)/SUM('Monthly Data'!E2:E147)

Above gets me my average spread, but it does not filter dates. after that formula i can just +B2 and get my average for the period if i only copied data from 9/8-9/15 for example.
if my data was to 9/30 this will pull all ranges rather than my mid month check.

Upvote 0
=SUMPRODUCT(IF('Monthly Data'!F2:F147<=DATE(2022,9,15),'Monthly Data'!M2:M147*'Monthly Data'!E2:E147))/SUMIF('Monthly Data'!F2:F147,"<="&DATE(2022,9,15),'Monthly Data'!E2:E147)

I have the weighted average for the range, including a less than/equal to date. I can adjust the ranges of columns as needed. Need to include a piece to the formula that will set a limit of 2% as a max up or down movement.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back