Import CSV data

Assamita

Board Regular
Hello everyone. Here's one for the advanced users.
I need to import data from a csv file, but I can't just open the csv because it populates some records in different columns (not only A). I think it has something to do with Excel automatically doing some text to columns to some of the records when opening the file.
It needs to be done by opening a blank file and via tab Data, From text/csv, import the file. This automatically detects the columns, delimiter, etc., and leaves the data in perfect shape.
I've recorded the process to see what the code was doing and I ended up with this:
VBA Code:
    ActiveWorkbook.Queries.Add Name:= _
        "ExportData_ChannelFuturePricelistExternal_201912111105333", Formula:= _
        "let" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "    Source = Csv.Document(File.Contents(""C:\Users\MPavilla\OneDrive - TechData\Documents\SWS Projects\Data Improvement\Vendor sources\Online\Trend Micro\ExportData_ChannelFuturePricelistExternal_201912111105333.csv""),[Delimiter=""|"", Columns=21, Encoding=1252, QuoteStyle=QuoteStyle.None])," & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "    #""Promoted Headers"" = Table.PromoteHeaders(Source, [PromoteAll" & _
        "Scalars=true])," & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "    #""Changed Type"" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#""Promoted Headers"",{{""SKU"", type text}, {""Standard Discount Type"", type text}, {""Item Code"", type text}, {""Order Duration"", Int64.Type}, {""Users from"", Int64.Type}, {""Users to"", Int64.Type}, {""User_Band_ID"", Int64.Type}, {""SRP Price_EUR"", type number}, {""Product_Group"", type tex" & _
        "t}, {""Application"", type text}, {""OS"", type text}, {""Language"", type text}, {""Version"", type text}, {""Shipment_Code"", type text}, {""Price_Type"", type text}, {""Sales_Type"", type text}, {""Order_Type"", type text}, {""Description"", type text}, {""Status"", type text}, {""Up/Grade Paths"", type text}, {""Product Segment"", type text}})" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "in" & Chr(13) & "" & Chr(10) & "    #""Change" & _
        "d Type"""
    With ActiveSheet.ListObjects.Add(SourceType:=0, Source:=Array( _
        "OLEDB;Provider=Microsoft.Mashup.OleDb.1;Data Source=$Workbook$;Location=ExportData_ChannelFuturePricelistExternal_201912111105333;Exte" _
        , "nded Properties="""""), Destination:=Range("$A$1")).QueryTable
        .CommandType = xlCmdSql
        .CommandText = Array( _
        "SELECT * FROM [ExportData_ChannelFuturePricelistExternal_201912111105333]")
        .RowNumbers = False
        .FillAdjacentFormulas = False
        .PreserveFormatting = True
        .RefreshOnFileOpen = False
        .BackgroundQuery = True
        .RefreshStyle = xlInsertDeleteCells
        .SavePassword = False
        .SaveData = True
        .AdjustColumnWidth = True
        .RefreshPeriod = 0
        .PreserveColumnInfo = True
        .ListObject.DisplayName = _
        "ExportData_ChannelFuturePricelistExternal_201912111105333"
        .Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
    End With
End Sub
My question would be: how should I modify the code to process any csv file, with different number of columns, delimiters, etc.? I would like to have a generic function/procedure that I would provide it the file location, and it would automatically process the data.

I hope I made myself clear, it's kind of confusing.

Thank you

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Unless there's a good reason for using VBA I would absolutely use PowerQuery, it might take a little learning (and only a little), but will allow you to manipulate the incoming data very precisely. Hope that helps a bit.

Regards

Upvote 0
Thank you pjmorris. I'm using VBA because this is a tool meant to run automatically. It autoruns a process at startup that checks within a folder for files that are regularly uploaded there. Is that something that could be automated with power query?

Upvote 0
put simply: yes. Go to Data ribbon and on the Get & Transform tab select 'New Query' - 'From File' - 'From Folder' and then navigate to the relevant folder.

I would search for 'Powerquery, from file from folder' on the internet though I tend to use Mynda Tracy's website for much of my guidance.

You can put the 'Refresh All' command in VBA code if necessary, but it only requires a click on 'Refresh All' to import all data within the folder (it is possible to filter our files that are inappropriate).

Upvote 0
and if really necessary but I don't think so ;)
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim con As WorkbookConnection
Dim Cname As String

For Each con In ActiveWorkbook.Connections
    If Left(con.Name, 8) = "Query - " Then
    Cname = con.Name
        With ActiveWorkbook.Connections(Cname).OLEDBConnection
            .BackgroundQuery = False  'or true, up to you
            .Refresh
        End With
    End If
Next
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
surendra75

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back