@ in a indirect formula

CY078

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi All

I'm looking at a formula and I know what it returns and where it came from ... but I don't quite understand why.

The formula is =@INDIRECT(VLOOKUP($O$2,Template!$A$3:$C$14,3,FALSE)&ROW())

I understand the green part (basically a lookup from a date to return the columns the data is in)

However I do not understand the significance of the
1. @ at the beginning of the formula
2. &ROW()) at the end of the formula (I understand that this will give the row ... but I don't understand how)

I've tried to lookup on the net .. which only gives me specifics of how indirects work.

Can anyone please shed some light on my issue ?

Thanks

Kind regards

Gary

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
See either of the links below about the @

Row() gives the row number that the formula resides in

Upvote 0
See either of the links below about the @

Row() gives the row number that the formula resides in

Ah I understand why i couldn't find it specifically. Cause I was searching for @indirect .. however the @ can be applied to any formula for implicit intersection (y)

Then if the end of the formula is &row()) ... but there is nothing in between the brackets ... would that mean row 0 ?? I understand it if it has a cell reference ... but the bit I don't get is when there is nothing in between ???

Upvote 0
Ah I understand why i couldn't find it specifically. Cause I was searching for @indirect .. however the @ can be applied to any formula for implicit intersection (y)

Then if the end of the formula is &row()) ... but there is nothing in between the brackets ... would that mean row 0 ?? I understand it if it has a cell reference ... but the bit I don't get is when there is nothing in between ???
Because it is referring to the current row the formula is in and not a separately numbered row or a cell reference.
Put
Excel Formula:
=ROW()
in a cell and you'll see.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@MARK858 ... yep I understand that now. It was referring to a cell (in the same row) but a gazillion columns to the right.
Thanks for your help.

TBH ... can't really say I like the formula. Makes more sense to "index" or "xlookup"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristinh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back