In an Excel formula, how can I extract the numerical value of a cell instead of having the cell name in the formula?

gggggg

I will better explain myself: I have 2 cells, A1 with a value of 10 and B1 with a value of 5, then in the cell C1 I have the formula: " =A1*B1". Therefore the value shown in the cell C1 is "50" (=10*5). This is why you use Excel :)
However inside my formula, I want to do extract the value of cell B1 and keep it only as a value, and maintaining the reference to cell A1. In this way: " =A1*5 "
I want to extract and convert my string inside the formula as a number for the value of cell B1. So in C1 I want to write the formula like this: "=A1*5" .
The result will always be the same but instead of B1 in the formula, I want only its value (and instead I want to keep A1 as it is). As shown in the image below. How can I do it?

I know some of you would probably wonder why I want to do this: the reason is that I have a table with a lot of values and parameters for biological data, and I don't want to keep to much columns on it because it is very very large. So what I want to do, is avoid of having the column with one parameter in my Excel sheet: therefore I want to convert in my formula " =A1*B1 ", the reference to the cell B1 to its own numerical value ---> it would be like this: " =A1*5 "
Is it clear? Please tell me if you need further clarification. I thank everyone who will spend time to read or answer my post. Thank you! ;)

d8283f8e162f40e1a069866c9dabc3d2_A.jpeg

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
um. May I recommend you use constants instead. Similar to named ranges.
Using variables is another reason to use Excel, but now you want to trade one variable for a constant.
Another option would be user Defined Function.
"and I don't want to keep to much columns on it because it is very very large.":confused: ? I do not understand your meaning.

Upvote 0
thank adjunctor. I am trying and this should work! Great, I will let you know if this work out thanks!

Upvote 0
thank you SpillerBD. I mean that since the file is very big (a lot of data) I want to compress it and make it simple. Avoiding to have too much values, columns, excetera: that is why I want to try this formula. Unfortunately I can't use constants because the numbers are a lot and are taken from another file. That is why I am trying to figure out this, is very difficult :eek: what do you mean with defined function? How can i do it?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Excel Master

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back