Inconsistent pivot table format at sorting behavior.

dmanww

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Web
I ran into a very annoying issue with a PowerPivot and it's driving me nuts.

- I set it up using "flattened pivot" from the datamodel menu.
- The layout is about 15 field rows and 1 value.
- The first field is set up to insert a blank row between each group.
-The others are normal.
- There are not subtotals or grand totals.

- There is a slicer on a different tab that controls several pivots along with this one.

Here's the issue
- When I set up the pivot yesterday I was able to format the cells in each field (selecting title so group is highlighted. Text alignment, borders, etc.
- Also set up sort order of several groups by dragging sets.
- When I filtered using the slicer the formats were retained.

- When I tried to add a column today it would retain formating.
- Did the same process, but when the filters were applied with the slicer the format got applied to random rows for the colum.
- When I returned the filter to the original setting the formating was still messed up.

- Tried recreating the pivot from scratch using flattened pivot again in the same file
- Now the formats seem to be ok, but the manual sort order isn't retained.
- Basically trying to sort RAG statuses manually, but if I apply the filter and R disappears. When the filter is changed R now shows up at the bottom as if it's a new value that didn't exist before.

Both these pivots exist in the same file and seem to have different behavior with formats and ordering.

Couple ideas I had.
- I protected the sheets after I finished editing yesterday, but I unprotected all sheets before I started making changes today. I know having even on sheet protected in the file can cause issues with making changes to pivot styles.
- Checked that retain formating is on
- Checked that sorting settings are the same between the two pivots

Beyond that I have no idea what else to check.

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
A manual sort will be lost often times, when refreshing or changing pivot tables.

Hard to see exactly what you're doing with seeing your data but one thing I use is letters in the field I'm trying to sort that you can then use to sort A to Z to which will always preserve the sort order.

E.g. say you have categories of values in a field you want to sort e.g 0 to 1,000, 1,001 to 2,000, 2,001 to 3000 etc etc. When you drop this field into a pivot table, it won't necessarily sort them in the correct order lowest to highest so to force it to, I go back to the source data and relabel the categories as such:

a. 0 to 1,000
b. 1,001 to 2,000
c. 2,001 to 3000
d. 3,001 to 4,000
etc etc

Adding the letter at the start means you can then sort the field A to Z and it will sort in whatever way you want it.

You could also add a custom list in excel for the field you want to sort correct and within the pivot table there is an option to sort by custom list which would also work

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back