Increment a string and place in new cell, maybe in an array?

canthony

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a string of text as follows:
B1-L1-A-S1-R1-C1

I need to increment different parts of the string while some may stay the same, and that new string is placed in a new cell which is then incremented and so on.

I need to do this many, many, many times.

I have a brand new workbook, no data.

Is there a formula that can accomplish this? Do I need to enter each set of data in the string in different cells and pull from there? I am relatively new to excel sheets such as this and would appreciate any advice/help.

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
I need to increment different parts of the string while some may stay the same, and that new string is placed in a new cell which is then incremented and so on.

Can you elaborate with an example?

Upvote 0
Sure, maybe if I explain the situation it will be more understandable.

I have 2 buildings (B), each building has 3 levels (L), the Isles are A,B,C etc; a great number of shelves (S), each with a similar number of Rows and Columns on said shelves.

I need to print labels for each row and column with the corresponding Building number, aisle shelf, etc. along with a QR code that can be scanned that gives the location.

I was trying to figure out a way to start with the base numbers and then increment them out instead of having to type them one by one.

For instance in B3 I need to increment the levels1-3 and for each level increment isles, shelves, rows and columns.

Upvote 0
Anyone have any ideas? Is this even possible in Excel? Maybe this is better suited for some Python code into Excel?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taner zz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back