Gru

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Web
Hello

*** all data is fictional ***

I have data in a single row, consisting of multiple "groups" or "sets" of data. In my screenshots below, in Cell "Q3", I would like excel to search across "E3:K3" and"S3:AM3" for the highest date (MAX date). Once that date is found, find the associated value in the column with the header "Aggregate ACB"; that is, the cell that is 5 cells to the right of the "date" cell.

Is that possible? From what I understand, the INDEX function isn't working here since my array does not consist of adjacent cells. Perhaps a formula coud look at the entire row (E3:AM3) but exclude the "group" in which the cell is being calculated; that is, in the example below, look at E3:AM3, but exclude the range of L3:R3.

Would something like that work? Hopefully I'm making my explanation clear. Thank you for your help!

1674056184667.png

1674056194775.png

1674056208056.png

1674056217840.png

Attachments

• 1674056154663.png
    1674056154663.png
    12.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
welcome to the forum try this:
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(E1:AM1,1,MATCH((MAX(MAX(E3:K3),MAX(S3:AM3))),E3:AM3,0))

Upvote 0
do you have a #ref error in AE as shown in your post because that could be the cause of the ref error. you could try just the match part and see if that come up with anything sensible:
VBA Code:
MATCH((MAX(MAX(E3:K3),MAX(S3:AM3))),E3:AM3,0)
if that is still in error try:
Excel Formula:
(MAX(MAX(E3:K3),MAX(S3:AM3)))
I just realised I didn't put $ in the index line:
try this:
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(E$:AM$1,1,MATCH((MAX(MAX(E3:K3),MAX(S3:AM3))),E3:AM3,0))

Upvote 0
Sorry about that. Yes, this is Google Sheets. Apologies.

@offthelip I still can't get it to work. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

I put a link below to my example Excel spreadsheet. Maybe it's better if I remove all my other data to try and get this to work first. Let's start from scratch.
Basically, in this example, in cell "Q3", I need Excel to look at the range "E3:K3" and "Z3:AT3" for the MAX date. Then, once that MAX date is found, give me the associated "Aggregate ACB" numerical value from the cell that is 5 cells to the right of the MAX date cell.

In my example, the value that the formula should ideally return is $244.00 (cell AL3 - this is the "Aggregate ACB" from the MAX date of 2017-06-05 in cell AG3).

Example spreadsheet link (OneDrive)

Upvote 0
have you tried the simpler formulae e.g. does this find the right date:
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(E3:AM3,1,MATCH((MAX(MAX(E3:K3),MAX(S3:AM3))),E3:AM3,0))
I note you have changed the ranges since your first post, I haven't changed my equations
I have just realised that since you are putting this in Q3 it isn't going to work because the equation refers to itself. So forget this approach.
What I suggest is using a "helper" column off to the right of your columns where you can put the equation and then refer to it in Q3
Alternatively do it using VBA

Last edited:
Upvote 0
have you tried the simpler formulae e.g. does this find the right date:
Excel Formula:
=INDEX(E3:AM3,1,MATCH((MAX(MAX(E3:K3),MAX(S3:AM3))),E3:AM3,0))
I note you have changed the ranges since your first post, I haven't changed my equations
I have just realised that since you are putting this in Q3 it isn't going to work because the equation refers to itself. So forget this approach.
What I suggest is using a "helper" column off to the right of your columns where you can put the equation and then refer to it in Q3
Alternatively do it using VBA

Thanks @offthelip . What would this "helper" column look like and where exactly do you recommend that I place it?

Also, I have zero experience at all with VBA so I'm not sure what that would entail.

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Upvote 0
I have just seen the update about this being about google sheets, I was answering assuming it was excel, VBA doesn't work for google sheets and I don't use google sheets so I have no idea whether what I proposed would work. Hopefully somebody else will respond

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back