Index / Match / Large / Sumif???

Buggirl3216

Background:
I have a list of names of people who have volunteered with my organization and the daily hours. I would like to write an equation that looks at the list of names, summarizes the hours for the people, and returns the top 5 volunteers in a certain timeframe (like the month of January). I was able to write this equation: =INDEX($B$4:$B$14, MATCH(1, ($C$4:$C$14=LARGE($C$4:$C$14, E4)) * (COUNTIF(F$2:F2, $B$4:$B$14)=0), 0)) and it pulls the top 5 volunteers for a single day and takes into consideration that some individuals may tie for the number of hours. You can see that working below. You can see that "Edgar" is placed 5th with 2 hours even though he should be placed 2nd with 7 hours. Any thoughts?

I know that I can create another table that pulls the names and then write a "sumif" equation to get the totals and then use the TOTALS table to index. I was hoping that I could just write it all into one equation.

Trisha

NamesTotal HrsPlaceNameHours
Dom
3​
1​
Adam
9​
Ben
5​
2​
Ben
5​
Edgar
1​
3​
Dom
3​
Charlie
3​
4​
Charlie
3​
Adam
9​
5​
Edgar
2​
Edgar
2​
Edgar
2​
Edgar
2​

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
What version of Excel are you using?

I suggest that you update your Account details (or click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back