Introduce Myself

johnd3099

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Web
Hello, I have been asked previously to introduce myself. I can't find where to do that. Then I want to post a question about VBA Web Scraping.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
There is no requirement to introduce yourself - I'm not sure who told you to do that? Feel free to just post your question in the Excel Questions area.

Hi everyone. I’d like to introduce myself. My name is John from Sydney, Australia. I am an ex-COBOL, MUMPS INGRES-ABF ‘C’ programmer starting in 1973, when punch cards and magnetic tape
were used, women could not wear stockings in the huge air-conditioned computer room which used disks as big as car wheels holding 655K bytes.
I am partly responsible for the Y2K bug because we had to save space by removing the century from every date field. But they wouldn’t still be using these programs in year 2000 would they,
and WE wouldn’t be still programming either.

Since retirement in 2012 I had been living comfortable enough on Dividends from the Stock Market. That is until the CRASH in March 2020 following the Covid-19 outbreak. Then I had to do trading myself, so I had to learn Excel in a hurry.

Thank you

Hi John,
Nice to meet you, I also started very early in the CS field. I don't think I was ever part of the Y2K bug, but I do remember all of the systems I had to update because of it. The biggest magnetic media I can remember is the 8" floppy disks that held 16K, then the 5¼", that held a whopping 360K, until DSDD that help 1.2M, finally as you can remember the 3½ 720K, and 1.44M DSHD floppies came to existence.

My first computer was a TRS-80 Model 1, in 1979, such an amazing piece of equipment for the home, but I was 6, so.... yeah, good to meet you.

Hi Jessica,
Nice to hear from you. What country are you from? Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I've been busy learning to download files from the Web into my spreadsheets. It seems you were born the year
I started in computers. Haven't computers come a long way. When I applied for my first job (in a brewery yea) they wanted people who had gone to University, and I hadn't. Luckily my night course
teacher supplied me with the Aptitude Test that they were using the night before. They said I was too old at 25, but because I got 100 percent and completed it in 60 minutes when others took 2 and a half
hours, they thought I was a genius. The others were University dropouts anyway. I have programmed BarCode readers, transponders, cameras, boom gates. Two years ago, I only had a very basic
knowledge of Excel. Now I have written 20,000 lines of code. I love it.

Cheerio

That is awesome! I am from the US, (Ohio) - No I am not one of the radicals. Since Linux is my primary OS of choice, I haven't programmed in VB, so good luck with that. So that is foreign to me. Other than that, nice to meet you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back