is it possible change the values in two columns based on a certain value in a different column

bleeet

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2013
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I am new to Powerquery and while using it I came upon a certain road block. In a column in my workbook there is a certain value (let's call it "1") that appears in some of the rows in the column and in whichever row that 1 is located I need to change the value of a cell that's located in a different column but same row.

I filtered the column to only show the rows that have 1 in it. But while researching on how to make if statements in power query I noticed that I have to make two new columns to achieve this. But if I were to combine the new columns with the existing ones wouldn't that change the values in the rows of in the existing columns that were not filtered?

does anyone happen to know how I can do this?

I hope you guys can understand what I am trying to do

thanks

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
to also add to this I tried using this method where I filtered for the "1" and used replace values in the two columns I want to change the values in. After that was done I was unable to unfilter the filter I used earlier to view all the rows in the table.

Upvote 0
Hi Bleet

Please link in a simple example of what you went. It makes it a lot easier for people to help.

Upvote 0
Hi Bleet

Please link in a simple example of what you went. It makes it a lot easier for people to help.

sorry about that

my table will sort of look like this

columna columnb columnc
null lion cat
1 null null
null bird rex
1 null null

<tbody>
</tbody>
am I able to find the "1"'s in columna and change the text of the cells under columnb and columnc that are in the same row as the "1"'s in columna

so basically it will look like this

columna columnb columnc
null lion cat
1 new text new text
null bird rex
1 new text
new text

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is one possible solution: If the new text for Columns B and C will be the same for all rows with "1" in Column A, then you can add a new column "CustomMerged" with the formula below. Then split this column by delimiter "|" back into new Columns B and C.

Code:
= Table.AddColumn(#"Previous Step", "CustomMerged", each if [columna] = 1 then ("NewTextColB" & "|" & "NewTextColC" ) else Text.Combine({Text.From([columnb], "en-US"), Text.From([columnc], "en-US")}, "|"))

Upvote 0
Here is one possible solution: If the new text for Columns B and C will be the same for all rows with "1" in Column A, then you can add a new column "CustomMerged" with the formula below. Then split this column by delimiter "|" back into new Columns B and C.

Code:
= Table.AddColumn(#"Previous Step", "CustomMerged", each if [columna] = 1 then ("NewTextColB" & "|" & "NewTextColC" ) else Text.Combine({Text.From([columnb], "en-US"), Text.From([columnc], "en-US")}, "|"))

thanks for replying.

so there isn't a way to change the value of the cell in columnb and columnc from using a if statement.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anniewonder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back