Is there a good tutorial (book or video series) that can teach me how to make Excel behave like a database?

JenniferMurphy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a bunch of applications that seem like they are better suited for a database than a spreadsheet where I can normalize the data and queries and forms to manipulate and interrogate the data in pretty much unlimited ways. But several conversations I have read here suggest to me that Excel has features that I am not aware of that can come pretty close to impersonating, emulating, or actually being a database.

I am wondering if there is a really good book or video series that I can get that will teach me how to make Excel function like a database. I am not looking for something that is free.

I would also be interested in any consultants or tutors who could walk me through that process and critique my work.

Thanks for all tips and pointers.

That could work.

For these kinds of scenarios, a web application is the way to go, since you would just give them a URL and they could enter the website, without installing anything, access the data and let them make their selections. Keep in mind that Google has their "Forms" service too. Google also has an online database that Excel can use via HTTP, which is Firebase, so that could also work. You could ask the GPT or me to write a simple app that can store their selections. There are a ton of options right now.

There is also AppSheets or something like that, which works with the Google Sheet API and I don't doubt there are more apps that can also communicate with the same service.

Very helpful, thanks

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Ok. I am going to try and get up to speed on Access. I just wish there was a MrAccess board. The Microsoft Community is not bad, but not even close to the quality of MrExcel, which is easily the best discussion board that I am aware of.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bes000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back