Is there a way to open a file that Power Query has locked as Read-Only?

rcrumbliss

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have been looking for an answer to this particular problem, and I cant seem to find one.

Here is my situation
I have 2 files and a copy/paste form that I am using to create a 3rd file. I pull the information from my 2 files using power query into my main document, which then compares information to what is on the copy/paste form to create a final document.

A user then does research on the information in the this file and then (and this is where I am getting stuck) this information is appended into one of the 2 original files.

The problem I have is that when I refresh the query to bring in the information from my 2 files, it locks them for editing.

File A is a list of addresses
File B is a master list of specific address notes on businesses that are open or closed
Copy Paste comes from an email, with a list of addresses that have exceptions (were improperly closed or left open previously)

I take the data from Copy Paste, compare it to File A to make sure it exists in the territory we service then compare it to previously known occurrences for that address using File B. This outputs a tab in the workbook with the email information parsed in such a way as to reduce redundancy in research. The end user then makes notes on addresses not previously marked, and then updates File B when the information is completed, so that addresses that have updated information are added. File B is a master file with all previously researched addresses. File B is being locked by the query so we have to close the file and reopen it after refreshing the data.

Is there any way that I can, without having to close the workbook and reopen it, to open File B for editing?

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
masterms

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back