Issues with using Searching, Filtering, Indexing, and Matches containing Partial Text

Steve454463

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello All,

I'm currently trying to build a budgeting table for myself and i cant quite figure out what kind of formula is needed to solve the issue I ran into. I created an example, shown in the photo attached, of the type of scenario I am dealing with. The chart is a much bigger scale than what is provided and In my previous attempts at solving this I ran into my excel file almost crashing by using nested IF statements. I was hoping there would be an alternative shorter Index formula that's capable of doing this using the search, filter, index, match, etc,. formulas.

Here is the scenario in the photo provided, the "Categories" (A3:A5) listed on the left table, i.e. Travel, Utilities, etc., is intended to represent various categories for bills that include the key billing words, i.e. Airport, Bus, Taxi, etc., in each respective row. All of the Bills (G3:G11) contain one of the key words, i.e. "Airport" in "South Airport", and I want to search the entire table (B3:E5) and auto assign the Matching Category (H3:H11) based on the bills containing the same matching key word provided in that row. For example: The Matching Category for "Taxi Company X" (G8) is "Travel" (A3) and is displayed in cell H8 because it contains the word "Taxi" (D3).

Attachments

• REDDIT EXAMPLE.JPG
    REDDIT EXAMPLE.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 3

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
Welcome to the MrExcel Message Board!

Cross-posting (posting the same question in more than one forum) is not against our rules, but the method of doing so is covered by #13 of the Forum Rules.

Be sure to follow & read the link at the end of the rule too!

Cross posted at: Reddit
There is no need to repeat the link(s) provided above but if you have posted the question at other places, please provide links to those as well.

If you do cross-post in the future and also provide links, then there shouldn’t be a problem.

Upvote 0
Solved. Used nested IF statements with queries and connections to have a limited amount of formula crunching between tables when data is inputted.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anshu121

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back