1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

This works:
VBA Code:
Dim oMPlayer As Object

Sub test1()
    Set oMPlayer = CreateObject("New:{6BF52A52-394A-11D3-B153-00C04F79FAA6}")
    With oMPlayer
        .URL = "C:\test\Alarm02.wav"
         Debug.Print .currentMedia.Name
    End With
End Sub

This doesn't work as it doesn't store the media player in a module level variable.
VBA Code:
Sub test2()
    With CreateObject("New:{6BF52A52-394A-11D3-B153-00C04F79FAA6}")
    End With
End Sub

.OpenPlayer "C:\test\Alarm02.wav" Method works but it shows the media player window unlike the URL Property... This is similar to what happens when opening a new excel instance (late bound) without setting the Visible Property to TRUE.

Is there some MPlayer Method or Property that can be set (or some other workaround) to make the test2 macro work - ie:= w/o storing the MPlayer instance in a module level variable and w/o making it visible ?

Regards.

This is the magic api function called CoLockObjectExternal exported by the ole32.dll... Nice & short !

VBA Code:
Option Explicit

'HRESULT CoLockObjectExternal(
'  [in] LPUNKNOWN pUnk,
'  [in] BOOL      fLock,
'  [in] BOOL      fLastUnlockReleases
');

#If VBA7 Then
    Declare PtrSafe Function CoLockObjectExternal Lib "ole32.dll" (ByVal pUnk As IUnknown, ByVal fLock As Boolean, Optional ByVal fLastUnlockReleases As Boolean) As Long
#Else
    Declare Function CoLockObjectExternal Lib "ole32.dll" (ByVal pUnk As IUnknown, ByVal fLock As Boolean, Optional ByVal fLastUnlockReleases As Boolean) As Long
#End If

Sub test2()
    Const S_OK = 0&
    Dim oMPlayer As Object
    'Call CoLockObjectExternal to lock the MPlayer object to ensure that it stays in memory.
    If CoLockObjectExternal(oMPlayer, True) = S_OK Then
        With oMPlayer
        End With
    End If
End Sub

In theory and according to the documentation, the lock should be released which I am not doing here since it will defeat the purpose so I am not sure if that's ok. I have carried out a few tests w/o any issues so far ... The same goes with the previous IUnKnown::AddRef method which in theory should be followed by IUnKnown::Release when done.

Thanks everyone for their help.
Works perfectly for me - I've not come across this API before so am excited to read up more about it.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Is this the same issue as with losing the connection with the Ribbon - and couldn't the method used by RoryA to save/retrieve the pointer from a Name work here too?
Hi Dan_W,
No. It is not the same issue. The Ribbon stays in memory, it is only its memory pointer (stored in a variable) that is lost when a state loss happens.

Works perfectly for me - I've not come across this API before so am excited to read up more about it.
If I remember correctly, I came accross this CoLockObjectExternal api long time ago but never used it .

Upvote 0
Just for the record, here is a slight correction of the IUnKnown::AddRef() code in post#8. I just got rid of the IIDFromString call which was unnecessary and performed a cast from the IDIspatch interface to the IUnKnown interface using the Set statement prior to calling the AddRef function.
VBA Code:
Option Explicit

#If VBA7 Then
    Private Declare PtrSafe Sub CopyMemory Lib "kernel32" Alias "RtlMoveMemory" (Destination As Any, Source As Any, ByVal Length As LongPtr)
    Private Declare PtrSafe Function DispCallFunc Lib "oleAut32.dll" (ByVal pvInstance As LongPtr, ByVal offsetinVft As LongPtr, ByVal CallConv As Long, ByVal retTYP As Integer, ByVal paCNT As Long, ByRef paTypes As Integer, ByRef paValues As LongPtr, ByRef retVAR As Variant) As Long
    Private Declare PtrSafe Sub SetLastError Lib "kernel32.dll" (ByVal dwErrCode As Long)
#Else
    Private Enum LongPtr
        [_]
    End Enum
    Private Declare Sub CopyMemory Lib "kernel32" Alias "RtlMoveMemory" (Destination As Any, Source As Any, ByVal Length As LongPtr)
    Private Declare Function DispCallFunc Lib "oleAut32.dll" (ByVal pvInstance As LongPtr, ByVal offsetinVft As LongPtr, ByVal CallConv As Long, ByVal retTYP As Integer, ByVal paCNT As Long, ByRef paTypes As Integer, ByRef paValues As LongPtr, ByRef retVAR As Variant) As Long
    Private Declare Sub SetLastError Lib "kernel32.dll" (ByVal dwErrCode As Long)
#End If

Sub test2()

#If Win64 Then
        Const PTR_LEN = 8&
    #Else
        Const PTR_LEN = 4&
    #End If
    Const CC_STDCALL As Long = 4&
    Dim oIUnK As IUnknown, oMPlayer As Object

'Cast IDispatch to IUnKnown
    Set oIUnK = oMPlayer
    'Call IUKnown::AddRef (VTable Offset = 4 bytes in x32 Processes and 8bytes in x64 Processes)
    If vtblCall(ObjPtr(oIUnK), PTR_LEN, vbLong, CC_STDCALL) > 1& Then
        With oMPlayer
        End With
    End If

End Sub

Private Function vtblCall( _
    ByVal InterfacePointer As LongPtr, _
    ByVal VTableOffset As Long, _
    ByVal FunctionReturnType As Long, _
    ByVal CallConvention As Long, _
    ParamArray FunctionParameters() As Variant _
) As Variant

Dim vParamPtr() As LongPtr

If InterfacePointer = 0& Or VTableOffset < 0& Then Exit Function
    If Not (FunctionReturnType And &HFFFF0000) = 0& Then Exit Function

Dim pIndex As Long, pCount As Long
    Dim vParamType() As Integer
    Dim vRtn As Variant, vParams() As Variant

vParams() = FunctionParameters()
    pCount = Abs(UBound(vParams) - LBound(vParams) + 1&)
    If pCount = 0& Then
        ReDim vParamPtr(0 To 0)
        ReDim vParamType(0 To 0)
    Else
        ReDim vParamPtr(0 To pCount - 1&)
        ReDim vParamType(0 To pCount - 1&)
        For pIndex = 0& To pCount - 1&
            vParamPtr(pIndex) = VarPtr(vParams(pIndex))
            vParamType(pIndex) = VarType(vParams(pIndex))
        Next
    End If

pIndex = DispCallFunc(InterfacePointer, VTableOffset, CallConvention, FunctionReturnType, pCount, _
    vParamType(0), vParamPtr(0), vRtn)
    If pIndex = 0& Then
        vtblCall = vRtn
    Else
        SetLastError pIndex
    End If

End Function

Upvote 0
On a related note, @Jaafar Tribak don't suppose you know how to get a pointer to the object on the With stack?

VBA Code:
Private c as new collection
Sub t()
  With new Something
    .whatever = something
    Call c.add(getWithStackObject())
  End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Is this what you mean ?

Add this new Method to the SomeThing Class:
VBA Code:
Public Function ThisInstance() As Something
    Set ThisInstance = Me
End Function

Then get the pointer to the newly created object like this :
Code:
Private c As New Collection
Sub t()
  With New Something
    ' whatever '= Something
    Call c.Add(.ThisInstance)
    Debug.Print "This *" & TypeName(c.Item(1&)) & "* Instance's pointer is : " & ObjPtr(.ThisInstance)
  End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Is this what you mean ?

Code:
Private c As New Collection
Sub t()
  With New Something
    ' whatever '= Something
    Call c.Add(.ThisInstance)
    Debug.Print "This *" & TypeName(c.Item(1&)) & "* Instance's pointer is : " & ObjPtr(.ThisInstance)
  End With
End Sub
Kinda yeah, but directly instead of having to implement a function in all classes (as sometimes that's not possible). It's my expectation that there is a With stack where you should be able to obtain all pointers to all objects/structs where we are currently in a With block. The P-Code has StartWithExpr and MemStWith operations, so I imagine it's possible to get a pointer to the stack directly, and find the object there.

Upvote 0
Kinda yeah, but directly instead of having to implement a function in all classes (as sometimes that's not possible). It's my expectation that there is a With stack where you should be able to obtain all pointers to all objects/structs where we are currently in a With block. The P-Code has StartWithExpr and MemStWith operations, so I imagine it's possible to get a pointer to the stack directly, and find the object there.
Sorry. I don't know the answer to that. Have you tried asking maybe @ VBForums? You are more likely to get an answer there.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back