LDAP Query - Large groups

magnamundian2023

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
  3. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Apologies, I guess this might be more of an LDAP question than VBA - but it's something that has been bugging me for some time and multiple attempts at searching for answers have never quite reached a solution.

So I have a fairly basic script below for fetching a list of all groups in an AD OU and a count of how many members each group has. Everything works fine until it comes across a group that has more than 1,500 members at which point it lies and acts like the group has none.

From various searching of the web this appears to be a known issue and the answer is to fetch the data in 'pages' or to specify upper/lower bounds. All examples online seem to come from the angle that your trying to get the membership of one group and often the examples are not VBA.

VBA Code:
Sub FetchGroupAndMembers(OU As String)

Dim CN As Object, CMD As Object, RS As Variant, ADGroup As Variant, Members As Variant, Count as Integer

Set CN = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
CN.Provider = "ADsDSOObject"
CN.Open "Active Directory Provider"

Set CMD = CreateObject("ADODB.Command")
CMD.ActiveConnection = CN
CMD.CommandText = "<LDAP://" & OU & ">;(objectCategory=group);cn,member;subtree"

Set RS = CMD.Execute

Do Until RS.EOF

Debug.Print RS.Fields("cn"); " = ";

Members = RS.Fields("member")

If VarType(Members) = 1 Then
Debug.Print "Empty"
Else
Debug.Print UBound(Members) + 1
End If

RS.MoveNext

Loop

RS.Close
CN.Close

Set RS = Nothing
Set CMD = Nothing
Set CN = Nothing

My workaround has been to replace Debug.Print "Empty" with the following as a 'fallback' to test any results that come back with Null for members:

VBA Code:
Set ADGroup = GetObject("LDAP://CN=" & RS.Fields("cn") & "," & OU)
Set Members = ADGroup.Members

Count = 0
For Each Entity in Members
Count = Count + 1
Next

Debug.Print Count

However this is horribly slow on large datasets, and while I could re-write the whole thing to do a loop through each group and loop through each member of the group, the above is a stripped down version of code just to demonstrate the issue - the actual code fetches many more attributes than just cn and member, so using the GetObject method fetch each attribute for each group can take significantly longer than the approach above.

As an example the script above, used to find "empty AD groups" on our system takes 15 seconds if I allow it to incorrect report groups with over 1,500 members as "empty". Whereas if I add the second piece of code to double check all groups that claim to be empty the script takes 30 minutes but is accurate.

There must be a better way? Any thoughts?

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Hughes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back