List items that appear 5 times

Ashish Mathur

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have data in range A2:E5 as seen in the image. My objective is to list down the items that appear five times. I have been able to solve this by writing this formula in cell H4 =TOCOL(A2:E5) and then this one in cell I4 =CHOOSECOLS(FILTER(HSTACK(UNIQUE(H4#),COUNTIF(H4#,UNIQUE(H4#))),COUNTIF(H4#,UNIQUE(H4#))=5),1)

I get the correct result i.e. A and C in I4:I5. I'd like to solve this question with creating the formula in cell H4.

I'd like to solve this with the LAMBDA function without using any spare columns.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 8

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
As I mentioned to you in another thread ..

.. better if you can provide sample data in a form that can be copied for testing: MrExcel has a tool called “XL2BB” that lets you post samples of your data that will allow us to copy/paste it to our Excel spreadsheets, so we can work with the same copy of data that you are. Instructions on using this tool can be found here: XL2BB Add-in

Note that there is also a "Test Here” forum on this board. This is a place where you can test using this tool (or any other posting techniques that you want to test) before trying to use those tools in your actual posts.

But thanks for updating your version details following that other thread. (y)

"My objective is to list down the items that appear five times."
I don't think there is such in that example, but if something was listed more than 5 times do you want it included in the list, or only things that are listed exactly 5 times?

Upvote 0
As I mentioned to you in another thread ..

But thanks for updating your version details following that other thread. (y)

"My objective is to list down the items that appear five times."
I don't think there is such in that example, but if something was listed more than 5 times do you want it included in the list, or only things that are listed exactly 5 times?
Thank you for replying. I would not like to download any tool. You may however download the workbook from here.

I want to get a list of items that appeared exactly 5 times.

Thank you for your help.

Upvote 0
I would not like to download any tool. You may however download the workbook from here.
Seriously? You don't want to download anything but you expect your helpers to do exactly that? 😦
You can just copy/paste directly from Excel as a not-so-good alternative.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Here is the data. I'd like to get a list of the items that appeared exactly 5 times. The answer should be A and C. I do not want to use formulas or Power Query. It will be great if you can share a LAMBDA function solution.

AAAAA
BBCCB
CCDDC
FEEEE

Thank you for your help.

Upvote 0
I do not want to use formulas ... It will be great if you can share a LAMBDA function solution.
Surely if you use a LAMBDA, that will still involve a formula in the end anyway?

I'll leave the LAMBDA to somebody more skilled with that but I don't really see the advantage of that over a reasonably short, worksheet formula.

23 01 14.xlsm
ABCDEFG
2AAAAAA
3BBCCBC
4CCDDC
5FEEEE
Exactly 5
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G2:G3G2=LET(n,UNIQUE(TOCOL(A2:E5)),FILTER(n,COUNTIF(A2:E5,n)=5,""))
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
Solution
Surely if you use a LAMBDA, that will still involve a formula in the end anyway?

I'll leave the LAMBDA to somebody more skilled with that but I don't really see the advantage of that over a reasonably short, worksheet formula.

23 01 14.xlsm
ABCDEFG
2AAAAAA
3BBCCBC
4CCDDC
5FEEEE
Exactly 5
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
G2:G3G2=LET(n,UNIQUE(TOCOL(A2:E5)),FILTER(n,COUNTIF(A2:E5,n)=5,""))
Dynamic array formulas.
Hi,

Thank you very much for sharing this solution. It is working as expected.

Upvote 0
You're welcome. Thanks for the confirmation.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbomb1414

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back