ListBox to ListObject Push/Pull Data

kyndig

Hello all, I've been a lurker and reader of these boards (and have all the books). I'm working on excel 2007 with alot of data from a userform that I am puting into a "data_sheet" to be used as the database. I'd really prefer pushing and pulling the data through access to excel, but this spreadsheet is for redistribution, and bundling access with it is not a viable option. Here is my problem:

I have a userform wizard that walks users through inputing and building a multi-echelon series of information that can be stored as a "profile". As the user selects information on the form, it is stored in 3 hidden listbox objects on the form to dump it into a sheet. (this works good). The information is dumped into a "table" (listobject) that is either cleared or created. There are only 5 columns of information in the listbox, so I'm using a "table" for every unique profile.

Now for the push/pull issue. The data is stored like a threaded system. For example, on these forums you have:
Code:
Forum
  -> Informational
         -> Excel
         -> Access
  -> Lounge
I store it in my listobject on a datasheet as:

Code:
unique_id | type   | name            | stored_value       | parent_id
1            | Forum | Informational  | My info board      | 0
2            | Board  | Excel            | Great excel site   | 1
3            | Board  | Access         | Wish I were using access | 1
4            | Forum | Loung           |put lounge boards | 0

A post in Excel board has an id of 19. Therefore it'd be accessed at:
1 -> 2 -> 19  ( Informational -> Excel -> msg 19 )

etc..

How is the best aproach withough having high overhead in memory to push/pull information from this table? ADO, Standard VBA looping, ListObject (not too much in books or the net on this method)

Pointers highly appreciated. I could use some help in figuring out how to quickly access the information, keeping in mind I'll have to do recursive functionality to display the layout and for report generation. And there can be up to 100 (nice round number) profiles that will be stored in the data_sheet to generate report information and loaded into the userform wizard for editing if required.

Thanks Guys

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaagu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back