Looking to change sheet reference in formula

Jamriv

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a primary sheet which is printed for meetings to show the progress of a particular run at work. I set it up so it would pull data from multiple summary sheets and can all remain in one file for ease of reference. I want to be able to easily change the sheet number referenced as easily as dragging formulas elsewhere.
The number I want to change is in parentheses and each sheet is named "Summary(n)" except for the first sheet which is where the results are kept.

My current formula is ='Summary (1)'!F2 but I have to manually go down the line and change (1) to (2) and then to (3) and so on and so forth. Is it possible to make the reference number change? I don't mind naming the sheets something different, but I would prefer to keep my system of multiple sheets for traceability reasons and be able to easily add similarly named sheets on should the need arise. Thanks for the time and sorry if this subject is trivial, I'm just beginning to really delve into excel at work.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
This will drag down ok:

=INDEX('Summary (1)'!F:F,ROWS($A$1:A2))

Upvote 0
You could use an indirect:

=INDIRECT("'Summary ("&ROWS($A$1:A1)&")'!F2")

Upvote 0
Solution
Oh awesome, INDIRECT worked as intended. Thank you for your help! I was struggling to get this to work properly without it being a nuisance. Just for my own personal knowledge; the ("&ROWS($A$1:A1)&") could be used in other instances should I have another type of document that aims to do the same thing?

Upvote 0
When you drag =ROWS($A$1:A1) down the sheet you will notice it just produces a sequence 1,2,3,4 etc so in your case Summary (1), Summary (2) etc.

Upvote 0
Hi. I'm trying to do the same thing as the poster here, but my sheet names are unfortunately not numbered, they are all letters, and alphabetical: AE, AL, AR etc.
Can this solution be adapted for non numerical logic like this, or do I need an alternative approach?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_smith_solihull

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back