Macro that Adds +1.value to the Cell Above It.

Poker Joe

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Attempting to write a simple macro that finds the LastRow in Column "CO". In the row below the LastRow, I want to add 1 to the value of the cell above it looping through all the cells in the LastRow to the last column (last cell of the LastRow). I may add more numbers to the LastRow in the future. Once I loop through last cell of the LastRow, I want it to stop looping.

The macro I have below stops at the first cell of the blank row below the last row. I'm stuck.

I'm sure there is a simpler macro that will accomplish my task than the monstrosity I wrote below.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

LatestNC5_3.10.23.xlsm
COCPCQCRCSCTCUCVCWCXCYCZDADBDCDDDEDFDGDHDIDJDKDLDMDNDODPDQDRDSDTDUDVDWDXDYDZEAEBECEDEE
SBH (2)

VBA Code:
Sub SBHTest()

Dim lastRow As Long
    lastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "CO").End(xlUp).Row ' find the last row of values in column CO

Dim firstBlankRow As Long
    firstBlankRow = lastRow + 1 ' get the first blank row below the last row of values in column CO

Cells(firstBlankRow, "CO").Value = lastRow + 1 ' leave a value only in the first cell of the blank row without the formula

Dim lastCol As Long
    lastCol = Cells(lastRow, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column ' find the last column of values in the last row

Dim i As Long, j As Long
    For i = lastRow To firstBlankRow Step -1 ' loop through the rows from the last row down to the first blank row below the last row of values in column CO
        For j = 93 To lastCol ' loop through the columns from column CO up to the last column of values in the last row
           [B] If i = firstBlankRow And j = 93 Then[/B]
                ElseIf i = lastRow And j > lastCol Then
                ' do nothing after the last value in the last row
            Else
                Cells(firstBlankRow, j).Value = Cells(lastRow, j).Value + 1 ' leave the value of each cell in the LastRow + 1
            End If
        Next j
    Next i

End Sub

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
Hi,
You could test
VBA Code:
Range("yourdestinationRange").FormulaR1C1 = "=R[-1]C+1"
Range("yourdestinationRange").Value = Range("yourdestinationRange").Value

Upvote 0
Hey James,

Thanks. I tried that before I attempted a macro but it leaves the formula in the cell and I just want the value. Plus, I want to learn how to write loop macros, For i, For Each, etc. I'll get it figured out eventually.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I tried that before I attempted a macro but it leaves the formula in the cell
Leaves the formula in what cell? the code @James006 posted converts the formula he put in the destination cell to values in the 2nd line.

It is not a good example to use for learning loops as you would normally just do something like....

VBA Code:
Sub SBHTest()

Dim lastRow As Long, firstBlankRow As Long, lastCol As Long

lastRow = Cells(Rows.Count, "CO").End(xlUp).Row ' find the last row of values in column CO
    firstBlankRow = lastRow + 1                  ' get the first blank row below the last row of values in column CO
    lastCol = Cells(lastRow, Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft).Column ' find the last column of values in the last row

With Cells(firstBlankRow, "CO").Resize(, lastCol - Range("CO:CO").Column + 1)
        .FormulaR1C1 = "=R[-1]C+1"
        .Value = .Value
    End With

End Sub

Upvote 1
Solution
Leaves the formula in what cell? the code @James006 posted converts the formula he put in the destination cell to values in the 2nd line.

It is not a good example to use for learning loops as you would normally just do something like....

VBA Code:
Sub SBHTest()

Dim lastRow As Long, firstBlankRow As Long, lastCol As Long

firstBlankRow = lastRow + 1                  ' get the first blank row below the last row of values in column CO

With Cells(firstBlankRow, "CO").Resize(, lastCol - Range("CO:CO").Column + 1)
        .FormulaR1C1 = "=R[-1]C+1"
        .Value = .Value
    End With

End Sub
Ah! That worked perfectly.
Here is where I made my error believing James' suggestion left a formula in the cell. I was stepping through (F8) the code and when I saw (side by side view) values appear on the blank line below the last row, I clicked on one of them pausing the stepping through but not stepping out of the step through. It showed the formula in the Formula Bar, so, instantly I thought they would stay after the macro completed. When I allowed it to run unto completion, the formulas disappear and the values are all that's in the cell.

Thanks James and Mark. I'm still learning and have a long road ahead. Your help and patience is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rduffieldc

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back