Macro that deletes rows and columns based on specified criteria.

DaNegotiator

Greetings all. Now, I will say that I am very new to Excel VBA and I have only learned what I have seen in online forums and self help guides. So, I apologize if this is very basic, missing proper coding etiquette, and/or if I need to have a certain proficiency to write my desired macro. With that being said...

I have a very large data set with multiple rows and columns of data. I am trying to "clean" the data and only include the data I need. I tried writing 2 macros that would 1) Delete rows based on specified criteria and 2) another macro to delete rows if the sequence of numbers are not met in the column Unfortunately, I didn't even get the first one to work.

What I tried doing was this: I put the "Delete Criteria" I wanted to use in another sheet in the 1st column (A) and then I tried to write the macro to look at "Save Criteria" and then it would look at the main sheet that contains all the data. Then it would look at the cells in a specific column. If that cell contained ANY of the values in the "Save Criteria" then it could KEEP it. If it did not have ANY of the criteria, it would DELETE the ENTIRE row that the cell is located. I tried to do the following:

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
row_number = 1
Do
DoEvents
row_number = row_number + 1
unitid_data = Sheet1.Range("A" & row_number)

If unitid_data = 0 Then
Sheet2.Range("A" & row_number).Delete
row_number = row_number - 1
End If

Loop Until unitid_data = ""

MsgBox "Completed"
End Sub

Well, that didn't do anything. I tried changing the Sheet name of the main data to "Sheet2" thinking that would fix it, but nothing happened. So, I know I have done multiple things wrong, I am just not sure what. Therefore, I will use a random data set to try and explain what I would like to do since my data set has over 930 columns and over 74000 rows. So here is a sample data set:
Sheet 1Sheet 2
Macro 1
Sheet 2
Macro 2
settingeffortchangeSave Criteria(1)Save Criteria(2)
Bolivia4601740
Brazil74110551
Chile89229602
Colombia77025
CostaRica84129
Cuba89040
DominicanRep68121
Ecuador7020
ElSalvador60013
Guatemala5514
Haiti3500
Honduras5117
Jamaica87221
Mexico8309
Nicaragua6807
Panama84122
Paraguay7416
Peru7302
TrinidadTobago84229
Venezuela91111

<tbody>
</tbody>

Though this data set is incredibly small in comparison, the principle is the same. I would like to have the first macro to look at the "Save Criteria" in Sheet 2 and then search the contents of each cell in the "setting" column in Sheet 1. If the cell matches any of the criteria, then it will keep it and search the next cell. If it does not have the criteria, then it would delete the ENTIRE row. So in this example, the only rows that should be left is Brazil, ElSalvador, Guatemala, and Paraguay.

Then I would like to write another that would look in a specific column (for this example I will say "effort") and if it doesn't follow an indicated pattern, then it will delete all rows that do not follow the pattern. The pattern would have to be "0, 1, 2" in the effort column. If it sees that pattern as indicated in the second sheet, then it will keep the row. If it does not, it will keep the entire contents. So, in this example, the rows that would be kept are Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Cuba, DominicanRep, Ecuador, Haiti, Honduras, and Jamaica.

Now, I will reiterate that I have over 930 columns and 7500 rows. Therefore, any help that you could provide would be extremely helpful. Thank you in advance for your comments, suggestions, and help.

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back