Making text invisible using conditional formatting

Darren_workforce

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,

I am struggling with the formula needed to cause any cell with "off" to turn the text invisible. I've attempted
Excel Formula:
=$A$2="off"
and I've tried using the custom number formatting (;;;) but it isn't working.

This is for the entire sheet but Row 1 is not required as the data is setup in a table

Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
using conditional formatting and change the font colour and change to the same colour as the background - that will look invisible - BUT will still have the value in the cell

Upvote 0
Try using
Excel Formula:
=A2="off"

Upvote 0
Solution
have you change font and change to the same colour as the background - that will look invisible - BUT will still have the value in the cell
I wanted to try that. Unfortunately it's a table linked from another worksheet. The colors alternate
Try using
Excel Formula:
=A2="off"
Apparently that was all that was needed. Thank you Fluff!

Upvote 0
using conditional formatting and change the font colour and change to the same colour as the background - that will look invisible - BUT will still have the value in the cell
I wanted to try that but it's setup as a table and is data shared from another worksheet so I didn't want to remove the table in the event that screws up the data connection. But since the table is multi-colored, it would require multiple formulas to achieve. Thanks for the suggestion, though!!

Upvote 0
Glad we could help & thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
you have as solved - but then mentioned condition formatting did not work because of a table

so is it fixed removing the $$ ?

try formatting with 3 ; (semicolons)
;;;

which i have done on this TABLE
Book5
F
1Column6
2date
Sheet2

Upvote 0
you have as solved - but then mentioned condition formatting did not work because of a table

so is it fixed removing the $$ ?

try formatting with 3 ; (semicolons)
;;;

which i have done on this TABLE
Book5
F
1Column6
2date
Sheet2
Good day!

Yes, apologies. I had the formatting setup with ;;; but was struggling with the formula itself. One the formula was tweaked, it worked alongside the text formatting and hid everything.

My leadership team reviewed the file and were concerned that the information still "existed" while invisible and could be accessed by anyone on the team. So that was all for nothing. I need to try and figure out how to setup a VBA macro to completely delete specific pieces of information when the file is opened.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
provoking

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back