Manually enriched data in excel in combination with refreshing data

martijnzi

Hello,

Simple question and I did not now how to search for it.

Suppose I have this data from an extract (the first two columns), and I manually add the categroy (third column) for use in in a pivot table.
DrinkPriceCategory
Heineken4Beer
Guinness5Beer
Fanta2Soft Drink
Triple Karmeliet6Beer
La Trappe Quadrupel5Beer
Diet Coke2Soft Drink

Now I refresh the data a few months later, and I have a new dump of data with drinks and prices.
When refreshing the data, the category's I already filled in earlier is gone, since I added them manually.

What is a good way to get it filled in again automatically? I was thinking of pasting a dump of the old data somewhere in a sheet and then making a vlookup.
This works, but this are all manual actions and thus possibly creating errors. Especially relevant because I want someone else with little excel knowledge to do the updates of data and maintance of the spreadsheet.

The datadumps I want to use are ofcourse much larger. I hope a bright person has a bright idea for me :)
Which isnt too complex to do. I am a bit used to Power Query, but at a very very basic level.

Kind regards,
Martijn

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Yes, a vlookup somewhere in your workbook that won't get deleted is one way. And if your data is in an Table and not just a range, with the formula being the last column. The formula would fill down the table when you paste the new data in.

But, how do you add the new data to the workbook? Power Query and/or Power Pivot can do what you ask.
Have you looked into those?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gunars

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back